Instructions for using a tube of silicone and caulk gun

Silicone can be used to attach wicks to containers. I just read a thread where some we're having some ummmm troubles with this, so I thought I'd offer some help. First off there is a smaller size tube available, about the size of a tube of toothpaste. If you rarely use adhesives, this is the way I'd go. For those that use it frequantly, the regular size tubes of silicone are cheap and available at home improvment stores, paint suppliers, kmart, walmart, and I've even seen it at the $ store.

1)Make sure you get clear 100% silicone, not the latex blend.

2)There are 2 types of guns, one that automatically stops dispensing once pressure is released, and one that keeps on dispensing even when you take your finger off of the "trigger". You'll want the first type.

3)Most guns have a little hole in the "trigger." You'll see an indent around point on the end of the tube, that's where the silicone starts. Place the point into the little hole at a slant, but make sure your cutting acrossed that indent, at an angle. If you cut to close to the end, you'll have to cut again, if you cut to far up, you'll have a large opening, and to much silicone will come out at a time. You want the opening as small as possible. Then squeeze the trigger. That'll cut off the tip. Most guns have what looks like a nail attached, stick that into the end of the tube where you just cut the tip off to "pop" the plastic seal.

4)Place the tube in the gun, push in that rod sticking out the end, so that the flat round piece is flush with the end of the tube. Turn it to lock it into place.

Dont worry if you get some on your hands, it's easily washed off with water.

Your ready to start "gluing" When your done, stick a appropriate sized nail in the end of the tube to keep it from drying out. Otherwise the end will dry up like glue does, and isn't easy to remove. HTH someone!:D

I read a thread yesterday were someone was having some troubles with this. I thought that she couldn't be the only one who's never used it before. Therefore I thought it might be helpful to some if there were directions available to help them out. I know the first time I used one (but I was caulking in spindles on a porch) I figured out how to load the gun, but I used a knife to cut off the tip, cut way to big of a hole, and was using the automatic gun that kept spewing out the caulk and I got it everywhere:tongue2: . When my bf walked up he was laughing watching me try to keep up with it. Then he showed me "the tricks of the trade," and the other gun that only pushes out caulk when you pull the trigger. Anyways, just thought it migh tbe helpful for those who'd never used one before.