Amber Glass/Amber Plastic which for storage of FO?

Judy, USMC

Haven't found anything that specifically compares these 2 types of bottles for Fragrance Oil storage. Is it just the amber color that protects or someting particular in the glass that's not in the plastic? Or is it just that the glass would be reuseable and the plastic would have to be tossed?

Looking specifically at the Recycle #1 PETE plastic vs glass found at the following site.

www.sks-bottle.com/Plastic_Codes2.html

glass is generally a better barrier against evaporation (and since not every component of an FO or EO gets through at the same rate it is not just a matter of losing product) - or certainly a more reliable barrier.

the amber color protects against light which speeds reactions like oxidation.

I work for a fragrance manufacturer and my company stores all it's oils (and chemicals) in either amber glass or aluminum. NEVER plastic. Never ever ever. We don't even have plastic except at the drum level and that's only if a client requires it and then the liners are very carefully selected.

Thanks Care Bear - looks like I was editing my post while you were answering the question! Would you agree the following is a fair comparison?

..................... - GLASS ; PETE

Moisture Barrier - Excellent; Good

Sunlight Barrier - Good; Good

Oxygen Barrier - Excellent; Good

Resistance to Impact - Poor; Excellent

I store FOs in clear PETE only because I can't afford enough amber glass. I have been looking for the amber PETE bottles that Peak uses. I found them at Freund Containers, but I would have to buy a large amount to avoid a small order fee. Anybody know another place that sells those amber PETE bottles?

I store FOs in clear PETE only because I can't afford enough amber glass. I have been looking for the amber PETE bottles that Peak uses. I found them at Freund Containers, but I would have to buy a large amount to avoid a small order fee. Anybody know another place that sells those amber PETE bottles?

SKS sells amber PET bottles.

Amber glass is by far the best for long-term storage in a cool environment.

However I will state, any FO in the 15.00 or less per lb range isn't worth buying extra bottles for. Most of my soaping oils already come in amber glass.

• 5 weeks later...

Also- all of the above info is accurate in my experiance. The BEST thing to store FO's in would be an Amber glass bottle with a Polyseal cap- the polyseal will hold up better over time as it is less likely to react/degrade if in contact with a very strong FO.. for example -i believe pepermint can eventually damage regular plastic lids that have the pressed foam liner. PET plastic is not a good choice for storage but is fine for many products that have FO's in them in diluted form (body spray- lotion etc.)