Rrd40

OK.... so I've been using the RRD-40 since I've started my container candles, C3, 8oz jars. I've seen many a post regarding the mushrooming so I know it's common, but man, it sure is ugly. I was given a sample of a CDN to use but haven't yet. Think I'll like those results better? With all the Christmas running around i've been doing I haven't had a chance to sample it yet. Just wanted to know what you all think? I get huge mushrooming goin' on. Like three leaf clover like. Just not attractive at all. I'm really anxious about starting trying some votives and pillars as well, but man... not looking forward to figuring out that wicking! Just wondered if anyone else has tried some other brand of wicks with the containers that they prefer? I have to say, the RRD throws amazingly, every once in awhile I seem to get a high flame, probably due to enviromental surroundings?.... I'm also interested in the eco brand wicks, BUT, do they make the wax candle look dingy after they self trim?? Thanks.... again~

OK.... so I've been using the RRD-40 since I've started my container candles, C3, 8oz jars. I've seen many a post regarding the mushrooming so I know it's common, but man, it sure is ugly. I was given a sample of a CDN to use but haven't yet. Think I'll like those results better? With all the Christmas running around i've been doing I haven't had a chance to sample it yet. Just wanted to know what you all think? I get huge mushrooming goin' on. Like three leaf clover like. Just not attractive at all. I'm really anxious about starting trying some votives and pillars as well, but man... not looking forward to figuring out that wicking! Just wondered if anyone else has tried some other brand of wicks with the containers that they prefer? I have to say, the RRD throws amazingly, every once in awhile I seem to get a high flame, probably due to enviromental surroundings?.... I'm also interested in the eco brand wicks, BUT, do they make the wax candle look dingy after they self trim?? Thanks.... again~

RRDs will mushroom because the wick is straight up and down. I use CDs which are close to CDNs and with the self trimming, I find the candle remains very clean.. the wick disapates, not falls into the wax. My CDs will mushroom if overwicked or just slightly with the right size. I definitely recommend you try it.

Stella, I'm trimming about every three hours during my testing. The first burn is not so bad, after that, almost every single time I get them, also after about a three hour burn. R.S. That's really good to know that they disipate, in my mind, I had them visualized as crumbling into the wick -- silly me! I"m anxious to try the sample now and will let you know how I like it. Thanks!

Well, if you give them a try, don't forget that great tip about twisting CDs and CDNs (after securing to the bottom of the container) to help prevent them from burning off-center (because of their slightly bent posture, they tend to burn a little hotter on one side). It really does help. ;)

Well, if you give them a try, don't forget that great tip about twisting CDs and CDNs (after securing to the bottom of the container) to help prevent them from burning off-center (because of their slightly bent posture, they tend to burn a little hotter on one side). It really does help. ;)

wait...what is this twisting tip with cd's?

wait...what is this twisting tip with cd's?
Folks have posted this several times and I finally got around to trying it and it's a swell idea! :D

Here's what I've been doing:

I stick the wick assembly to the container with the High Temp RTV, wait 24 hours, then slip on the wick bow ties and secure the wick in the bow tie. Then I twist the bow tie several revolutions until it is twisted and taut.

I think the original place where I read it here said to twist until just before it tries to twist back on itself (if that makes any sense... I can see it, but it's hard to 'splain), then to secure it.

I started doing this with my pillars, too, by sliding the wick assembly in, holding the wick at the top and spinning the pillar a few times. Then, before it unspins, I run the base over a hot surface to level it. This holds the wick in place also.

I still have to make some minor adjustments to the wick every now and then as it burns, but not nearly so often as without twisting. :wink2:

Give it a try! :D