Scrapbooking/Card Making & Cricut

sockmonkey

It's supposed to cut paper and cardstock--vellum to bazille. It also will cut vinyl up to 3 mil thick, according to the Cricut website.

I've visited some scrapbooking forums and it seems like a lot of folks are dumping their Sizzix in favor of the Cricut. But I can see why it would be hard to part with something after you've invested so much money in something.

I was just at Sams Club yesterday and saw the Cricut. I almost bought one, but was curious how well they work and if they are really worth buying. I think it was $324.00. I don't think Sams Club carry any of the font cartridges, so would I have to order the font cartridges thru the mail? but it didn't say on the box how much the extra cartridges were. I don't do scrapbooking but I do make wooden signs and I would use it to make my own stencils.

I bought one of the little buggers for 300 bucks and it would not work. I went throught hell trying to get it fixed or a new one to replace or even my money back but never could get anything. I think the motors were gone. I never even got it to cut one thing. It is still sitting in my closet in its box. I was so excited too.

SouthernScents, did you buy it off of ebay or something? I would be livid if that happened to me. If it doesn't work and they refuse to take it back I would either go to Paypal and file a complaint (if that's how you paid), or notify my credit card company that you received defective merchandise and the vendor will not replace it. Other than that, you might try writing to company headquarters of the store you bought it from, or even ProvoCraft and let them know about your dissatisfaction.

HeavenScentU, the cartridges are available at Michael's, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Kmart, and Walmart, and you might be able to find them at local craft stores as well. The regular price for them is $89, but you can usually find them on sale for $59-$69. If you look online (ebay and other sellers) you can find them for less.

I haven't really done anything with mine yet, other than turn it on and test cut a few letters, but it worked really well. I tried it on cardstock and regular paper and it made very precise cuts, so I guess it would work well for stencil making.

Go to cricut.com and sign up for their forum. Then get on there and tell about your awful story. You might see some results. They don't want people to spread the word about their product not working. You might also find someone else with a similar problem and find out how to fix it.

Go to cricut.com and sign up for their forum. Then get on there and tell about your awful story. You might see some results. They don't want people to spread the word about their product not working. You might also find someone else with a similar problem and find out how to fix it.

Haha. Sounds like a way to get some Customer Service to me:D

• 11 months later...

I'm thinking that since DH went out and bought himself a new 50" television that I barely watch, I ought to get something for myself and an infomercial about the cricut caught my eye. They have the cricut expressions with a bunch of stuff with it for $33.00 plus $24.99 shipping for a 30 day free trial, if you like it you will be billed 50 something a month for a total of $357. I don't use credit cards so I can't just walk into JoAnns and get it on sale for $299.00 (not sure if this is the price in the current ad or I missed it) so I'm thinking this might be the way to go. I don't scrapbook but I was wanting to use it to cut out appliques to iron on to my scented hot pads and then I can stitch around them. There is a scrapbook store near me that 2x a year has a bag sale. You buy a certain size bag (smallest is $20.00 and about the size of a hallmark bag you get when you buy cards but not as thin) and whatever you can stuff into your bag is what you get for the bag you bought. My friend went to the last one and cleaned up on the cricut cartridges.

My DD got the Slice for Christmas and loves it. I got it at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon and the extra fonts are way more reasonable than the Cricut. She used it at an event (a scrap? a cut? what's it called?) at an Archivers store and really liked it.

I have one and I absolutely love mine!! I've been playing with mine for last week or so, My son brought it for me for Christmas!! I have the Cricut expression, the biggest one. Now as for fonts girls!!! he brought me Cricut design studio CD, It has usb cord to hook to your cricut to your computer.

It has over 10 fonts settings (it says on box, no more spending extra dollars on cartridges when you have it all on the CD!! That cost 69.99 :)

what's neat about the CD is that on the box, it says "What you see is what you cut!! I like that!!

Check it out, I am using mine to make stencils and vinyl rub on for my walls

so much fun!!!!

HTH

Meg