How to make the color taupe?

I have a customer that wants me to make a rustic taupe candle for her. I know taupe means different things to different people, but in her case it would mean something that has a slight grey hue to it. I've make a lot of cream/ivory candles, but have never made taupe. What color dyes would you use to make this color. I have Ivory, Brown, Vanilla and Black available. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks.

If you want a slight gray hue.. use a little bit of that black. Depending on how much gray you want.. I would start with a tooth pick, dipping it in the color and go from there. If it's not liquid dye I guess I'd just start with the teeniest little bit of black dye chip. To me taupe has no gray in it but more ivory and tan.. so I guess you're right, taupe means dif. things to dif. people.

Yea, I agree... A little black. But I have a tip on how to cut the black.

I take small, eyedropper bottles like the sample scent bottles sold by Peak. Using the eyedropper, put in 100 drops of mineral oil, scent, or some kind of oil that will mix. Put in one drop of black and shake well. Mark the bottle, "Black 100 to 1". This way it is really easy to control slight variations of black. Just use the eyedropper and count your drops for later reference. It works with any color. I find using red and blue this way is also useful.

Soja

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that the advice on adding just a little black worked out very well. I made the light tan then melted just a bit of the black chunk color I had and added it to the wax just before pouring. I mixed it a little and poured it into my 4" x 6" pillar mold. It turned out beautifully; a perfect molded candle.

believe it or not Yaley makes a brown dye that I use all of the time to make taupe..as the others said just a smidge of black added to it and it turns out perfect. Ya know..speaking of yaley..I always buy my wicking from candlechem..I used to buy it from pourette but can't any longer...I was desp a couple of weeks ago, I misjudged what I had and I actually sent hubby to just get me some yaley cotton wicking at JoAnn's...it's a flat braided cotton wicking and I gotta tell ya...I loved the way my pillars burned with it. When I see candle or soap making stuff available thru a craft store I automatically assume that the quality is just so/so...if you've never tried this wicking I think you'll be surprised how nicely it burns...I use it for small pillars between 3-4 in in diameter.