where to get lye?

punkflash54

i keep reading that you can get lye in grocery stores called red devil lye but no where around me has it...they all have some liquid red devil stuff that does not contain lye. Someone just told me that lowes has lye in the plumbing section but there is not a lowes that close to where i live. So does anyone know if Home Depot would have lye? Thanks. I have been reading up on cold process soap for a few weeks and i have all the ingredients...just no lye...yet. thanks

I think recentley I saw some lye in the classifieds but I am not sure you have acess to those yet because your post count is too low. Just try Alabaster.

http://www.alabastercandlesupply.com/proddetail.php?prod=LYE

The lye is only $15 for Ten pounds, they sell it in smaller quantities but if you are going to pay shipping you might as well bye enough so you don't have to order for a while. Shipping should be under $10 at the most 12.

maybe your luck is like mine and it is illegal for stores to sell lye in California

I even had a plumber friend try to get me some from his supply stores but they were the ones who said they can't sell it here.

I am stuck with mail order :(

bittercreek.com carries it, also soap guild suggests these vendors

http://soapguild.org/vendors.php?Search=Product&&Criteria=310

thanks for the help! I managed to make it to Home Depot between snow storms and they had the Roebic Crystal Drain Opener...so i got a container of it. and now im back at home and its a pretty massive blizzard outside so im going have my first attepmt at making cold process soap! :)