Another Air Freshener Question..

I went back and dug up some old threads on using corn cob bedding for air fresheners...and it got me to thinking.. is it possible to use the wood chip bedding for the same thing? Is it or would it be absorbant enough to use? I put some in a jar, and added a bit of FO, shook it and covered it for awhile just to test it for myself, but am wondering now if anyone else has tried this, or is it a REALLY stupid idea? If you've tried it, can you clue me in? :D TIA

~Sharon

I've seen potpourri made with scented wood chips. The chips were always pine, not cedar because it has its own smell. Sometimes the chips are dyed pretty colors, too.

The stuff I have is pine too..I figured cedar was out of the question because it smells so strong by itself. Pine bedding is CHEAP! LOL It seems to be pretty absorbant stuff, and smells yuMMY when I open the lid. Isnt there some kind of curing rule for this stuff? Anyone?

i think you need a 'liquid solvent' i apologize but ive forgotten the actual name of it...but its used to mix with FO for incense and...potpourri (i think i spelled it right) but ive never made any so i dont know the purpose for it or any ratios..but ill check it out for ya

-edit-

DGP

"You can also use a liquid potpourri mixture of fragrance oil and incense solvent (DPG) and apply to dry potpourri with a spray bottle, continually spraying and mixing around until evenly distributed."

but it also says you dont -have- to use it..that you can use straight FO "Add fragrance oil to the potpourri mix..." and "1/4 to 1/2 oz. per pound, depending on desired scent strength."

so i suppose its up to how you want to do it..

Hi Sharon,

When I make potpourri I use the "recipe" from SF Herb as a guide. http://www.sfherb.com/cart/webstore/Recipes.asp

I add straight FO at about 1/4 to 1/2 fl oz per 16 cups potpourri (approx. 1 gallon), depending on the strength of oil. You can mix and measure into glass jars or store in a plastic container that has the #5 in a triangle (I use these and have had no problem with FO eating through the container. Put them in a cool dark space for a couple of weeks to cure.

You could probably use the same method as they say you can fragrance the corn cob fibers (cellulose fiber) and add to potpourri. HTH

i used corn cob and the rock salt. and put in my truck it held its scent for weeks. i was really happy with it.i scented the rock salt first. then the next day added the corn cob to soak up the rest of the fo it worked great.

I do this also. I was spending too much on aroma beads, so I decided to do a mixture, rock salt holds the scents really good but it's a pain to absorve, so I throw in corn cob and then some beads to absorve the fo. They have been lasting longer than either corn cob or beads alone. The cob and salt is cheap so you can fill the bag for less :D . I save the beads for my ornies.

Sharon, chips sounds interesting, let me know how it turns out. :highfive: