Winterwoods

GrandmaArial

Hubby FINALLY made me a tray mold. So I made him soap! Together we sniffed FOs and herbs… came up with a combination with cedarwood, amber, musk, holly, a tiny bit of pine, and dried spearmint, rosemary and sage which I infused in oil. We are calling it “Winter Woods”. His color choice was brown… I couldn’t do just plain brown soap… so I used sage and rosemary (finely ground) to make the brown swirls, and used chromium oxide green with a touch of red oxide to make the darker forest green swirls. I also (but don’t tell him) added a bit of vanilla to the batter so it will brown up a bit for him. I have to admit, he just wanted me to make him a batch of bayrum, but I have a batch I made in the log mold two weeks ago curing now. He has plenty…

Yes, I am painfully aware my swirls are no where as beautiful as s many of you do, but better than I thought it would be as my first try in a tray mold.

post-7822-139458438468_thumb.jpg

My man is so funny! It took me months to get him to try my soap, the only reason he did was because so many of his friends bragged on the bayrum. He still has some Coast left from the last big pack he bough about six months ago and has alternating it with the bayrum to use it up, and complaining about how dry it leaves his skin, LOL. I have to admit it makes me feel good he likes my soap better than his (formally) beloved Coast.

The last batch of bayrum I decided to change the appearance, instead of strong blue with weak green swirls I made it white with wispy green and blue swirls. He threw a fit when he saw it! Grumbled about he liked it how it was, if it’s not broken don’t fix it… and he hopes it’s not going to dry his skin out now that I changed it! I keep telling him all I changed is the looks, the soap is the same recipe he liked before (and I spent months working on the recipe to fit his specifications). He still isn’t sure. I had to promise him if he doesn’t like the new batch I will make him some more like the previous batches. I won’t, of course, cuz it’s the same soap!

Wow, that looks & sounds wonderful - and "Winterwoods" is a fantastic name! What fun to get hubby involved - maybe he'll be more open to feeding the soaping addiction ("join ussss..."). Nice tray, too. :thumbsup:

BTW, what on earth is holly like as a scent? It never occurred to me - I'd only thought of it as a decoration before now.

What does holly smell like? To me it smells like winter. It’s an ever green, and although it doesn’t smell anything like pine it has the same sharpness of the volatile oils. It is a very woodsy scent, goes well with pine (maybe because my mom would bring armloads in to decorate for Christmas). It’s a green smell… sorry, other than to pick some and send it to you… I don’t know how to describe it LOL. Ummm... when you decorate with it take a whif! LOL.

I did with this. Stole them from the neighbors yard a few weeks ago thinking maybe I would try doing a seasonal soap... well... this is it I guess, LOL, winter! I rough cut then to fit in the jar, covered with oil and forgot about it. It smelled a bit strong to us so we only added a little.

Oh… I’m beeping my own horn here… but this smells GREAT IMO. It is so masculine! I only hope the scent sticks and doesn’t morph and I can duplicate it.

These are cut and trimmed but not cleaned up yet, I won’t clean them for a couple weeks. The lower left is upside down.

post-7822-139458438487_thumb.jpg

My neighbor came over to get her husband some bayrum soap; he refuses to use commercial soap now. She smelled this and walked past the shelf with ready soaps and into the curing closet and grabbed a bar. I told her it’s not ready for use, we had a bit of an argument, she said she didn’t care if it burned his skin, he would smell great in the hospital! LMAO. I had to promise to save a couple bars for her. I do so hope the scent holds. It does look a lot like camouflage, doesn’t it, LOL. It should brown up a bit, not much, maybe tannish, I didn’t use much vanilla; he considers it a girly scent, LOL. He’s such a guy!