Registering candle company with state

jchernyb

Does everyone that sells candles have to have their company registered with their respective state? I thought that a person could not sell candles unless they were registered, but I found out differently yesterday when I saw someone selling their candles so I went online to my state Corporation database and their name is no where to be found. Hum..... Just wondering what the legal aspect of this is.:angry2:

could be they are not a corporation. i know the one for michigan does not list sole proprietors. you could try checking with their local chamber of commerce to see if they have registered their name there if you need to know

I don't know if there is a specific mandate regarding candle sellers registering with the state, which is how I read your message; but rather that people doing business in the state need to be collecting sales tax and therefore must register.

Is it possible that this person could be operating under a "D/B/A" name, and therefore you weren't able to find them?