Anyone use flax seed for anything?

Mnhorsemom

I bought a 50 pound bag of whole flax seed earlier this summer and was feeding it to my horses. I didn't get the results I was looking for after several months and it's a PITA to feed since I have to grind it fresh everyday. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas for me to use up the last 15-20 pounds? Thanks

Purple, I just read that in the link you posted ;)

I haven't tried it in any recipes....flax goes rancid very fast (or at least loses its.....flax goodness lol). I would think it would need to be a refridgerated product and discarded after a short period of time....definately would need something to prolong the oils.

I love flax seeds and use them in a delicious fiber drink. What I do is grind 2 tablespoons in a coffee grinder and then add it to my blender into which I have poured 1 cup of water and 1 cup of apple juice and half of a banana. I blend it all together until the banana is liquified and drink it down. Tastes much better than Metamucil ever could without a doubt, plus you're getting the added bonus of the good omega fats that are naturally present in flax.

The seeds last a long time without going rancid in their 'whole' state (I store mine in the fridge), but I would use them right away when you grind them since grinding causes the fats to break down rather quickly. You can tell that your flax has gone rancid by the bitter taste in your mouth and way it prickles your tongue and throat when you swallow it. Non-rancid flax should have a smooth, mild and pleasantly nutty flavor.

Another great and healthy recipe using flax seeds which all my family and friends love is this: grind up about 2 tablespoons of flax seeds and mix it with an equal amount of honey and use it as a dip for fruit. It goes especially wonderful with fresh, crisp apples and grapes. The flax seeds lend a pleasant nutty flavor to compliment the fruit. I better stop - I'm making myself hungry!

MarieJeanette

I have celiac disease (gluten/wheat intolerance) and I use flax seed in a few of my "fake bread" recipes. I found out the hard way that you need to coat the top of the loaf with egg wash before you sprinkle the flax seed on and bake it though, otherwise they will all fall off when you try to cut it... :D