Questions about my 1st test burn

First of all making my first candle was FUN and I'm already addicted! What I want for Christmas are more supplies lol!

Anyhow, test burning my first candle this am.

Container: 8oz JJ

Wax: 4627

FO: CS Clean Cotton @ 6%

Wick: ECO 6

CS recommended an ECO2 for this size container (2.5-3") but that was too short (only a 4" wick) so I had the choice of picking an ECO4 or ECO6.

EenyMenyMinyMoe I went with the ECO6.

OMG does this smell good :)

Burn at 2h: Almost all the way to the edge of the container, flame might be a little high? No smoking/sooting though.

Question: What is the ideal flame size?

Burn at 4h: Melt pool is good from what I've read on the searches (all the way to edge of container, about 1/2" deep (def no deeper than that).

However, the flame was pretty high IMO and it was starting to smoke.

The wick was curling down and had a very tiny mushroom on the end.

So my questions are:

1. is this dangerous to keep burning (after the cooldown and the test resumes? The wick is pretty short but I did trim it after it cooled down. I'd like to finish the burn cycle just to see how it does (and I enjoy the fragrance so much)!

2. Is this already indicative of a too-large wick? I can size down to ECO4 and try another test. I bought a BUNCH of wicks so I also have other kinds to try if the ECO 4 doesn't work.

Any other tips/pointers/suggestions? Am I proceding correctly? Yes, No?

Thanks so much

Dana

:D

When in doubt, test. Since you think the ECO 6 is OK but maybe a little big, you have to test the ECO 4 and compare. At that point I think you'll be able to figure out the best answer on your own.

Having said that, what you've seen so far is what I usually see. ECO 4 is what I'd most often go with using this wax and jar diameter. ECO 6 can be good with some FOs or if you're really careful about trimming the wick before lighting, but it's pushing it a little.

Thanks Top, I think I just needed a little reassurance that I'm headed the right direction.

I should have known, that if I picked ECO6 that I should use ECO4....just like when I am lost and feel like I should turn left, the correct way is turn right! :wink2:

Anyhow just poured a few more testers with same stuff just different wicks, and will re-test tomorrow.

Fun!

Thanks,

Dana