I'm trying to embrace the frost but question?

It seemed like I was doing pretty good by pouring C3 cooler in the summer/fall. Frosting was pretty minimal. Now pouring the same candles, fo/wax/etc...it's getting worse and more pronounced. I've tried to remedy by keeping the jars warm and waiting to pour until 125F to no avail. My question is, should I now be pouring hotter during the winter season?

Oh, also, the only other thing that has changed since I've been having more problems is I'm using an Electric Turkey Fryer and I the wax has been getting hotter than 170F, closer to 180F. I wouldn't think this would matter....I'm starting to like Fire&Ice's idea of just pouring hotter all the time because as Stella said, Frost will always rear it's head just when you think it's gone......some of these even look like stars which are kind of nice.

Thanks....

The only thing I've found that helps a little...and I do mean a little with frost in C3 is USA. I probably never gave the coconut oil enough of a chance and some say it helps. Temperature definitely brings out the little frost meanies. I quit coloring a couple of years ago so it doesn't bother me as much now...but I just could not embrace it in colored candles! I can deal with wetspots, but not frost...so...no color for me. They still frost around the edges of the top, but doesn't look so bad on white!

Yes, I would agree that since I began using USA it helped but I'm still using it so definitely not the cure. Believe me, I would love to go natural color but after asking for feedback seems like more people like the dyed colors....I personally think the natural looks nice...

I haven't tried Coconut oil yet. Not sure I want to after reading about the burnt coconut oil in the bottom of someone's turkey fryer. I'm still wondering how that 2-3" of wax in the bottom will ever come out;)

I was just reading through the sticky on what everyone uses to prevent frosting and it looks like beeswax was mentioned quite often. Seems like that might be worth a try since it was also recommended for tarts with c3....

That's a good point......I've been adding the USA to my turkey fryer and probably should add that to the pouring pot instead....I could probably say the Turkey Fryer is USA made now instead of Made in China :D Seriously, I'm not even sure where it's made but that struck me funny.....

Not sure what USA will do in the pour pot (melt or not?) but I know that coconut oil cannot withstand high temps for prolonged periods so it is much better suited for the pour pot. The USA thing vs China...lol!!! How do you like the turkey frier? Did you use a presto before it? I've been contemplating one, but not sure where I'd put it.

Yes, I did use a presto pot prior to the Turkey Fryer and still use it once in awhile, mostly for critters. I love the Turkey Fryer, it makes everything go so muck quicker. I got mine at Linen and Things....I had found a coupon online so it was $90ish with shipping....just the pour spout and the ability to melt more quantity is well worth it. The hubby says, nothing like having the tools you need.... ;)

I have found that higher heat promotes frosting.

I have been thinking a lot lately about why we see frost at certain times and not at others, even though we SWEAR we do exactly the same things, etc. One of my prime suspects is the element of the melters. I dunno about turkey fryers (although it sounds like the same thing), but Prestos heat just like electric frying pans and griddles. The thermostat causes the element to come on when it senses the temperature has dropped, but the element is not variable heat - strictly ON and OFF. It gets much hotter than the temperature selected so that it can heat the contents of the Presto, or the surface of a frying pan or electric griddle. The area directly over the element is much hotter than the rest of the Presto, so one has to keep the wax moving to keep the temperature even and not overcooking in one spot. Think about what happens to homemade pudding if you do not stir it constantly...:shocked2:

I'm also thinking about what we have been learning about the various crystal formations of vegetable wax/shortening/oils, how allowing the temperature to get too high encourages the formation of the undesirable kind of crystals, which is why tempering helps promote growth of the good kind of crystals and diminishes the number of the unwanted kinds...

I think that good continuous temperature control over the entire batch is a MUST if we want to reduce or eliminate frosting. Rereading information about tempering may yield some answers. Just my musings...:wink2:

This is a very good point since these devices don't give us exact control over the temperature of the wax.....I'm wondering if devices designed for melting wax such as commercial products would do a better job than standin's such as the presto and turkey fryer......I know I can't afford them but there might be a reason why they cost so much.....

Thanks Stella again for your insight.....

Just for the heck of it.....I just poured at 160F instead of the 120F that I was pouring at and they came out beautiful. That was the only thing I changed.....:yay: Back to pouring hotter.....I did get a sink hole but I was heatgunning the tops before anyway....

I'm wondering if devices designed for melting wax such as commercial products would do a better job than standin's such as the presto and turkey fryer......I know I can't afford them but there might be a reason why they cost so much...

The big ones are water jacketed - an industrial sized double boiler. Heat of a precise temperature surrounds the wax and never allows it to attain a temperature higher than the water.

Just for the heck of it.....I just poured at 160F instead of the 120F that I was pouring at and they came out beautiful. That was the only thing I changed.....:yay: Back to pouring hotter.....I did get a sink hole but I was heatgunning the tops before anyway....

Although they came out nice, they could frost in a few days, weeks, months.:cry2:

They may not frost at all... You just never know...

Frost grows like mold in soy candles -

Sometimes it's there and sometimes its not.

Trust me when I say that here in SE LA, we know our mold! :wink2: I don't like to compare "frosting" or "bloom" to "mold growth" because there are plenty of ignorant folks out there who ACTUALLY BELIEVE that is IS mold! *faint* However, it is similar in some respects: one teensy spore of mildew mold can grow and grow and spread and spread until it covers walls, boots, clothing, etc. All it needs are the right conditions to do so.

The different crystal structure types are all present in our candles. The predominent crystal structures of soy wax form because the conditions are favorable for them to do so. If the candle's environment changes to encourage the growth of a different crystal structure, it will do so in many interesting, but undesirable ways! Certain colors and FOs seem to further encourage the formation of the undesirable crystal structure, just as certain additives seem to inhibit it.

Even bleach will not kill 100% of all mold spores. One has to provide an environment that is hostile to mold growth. Same with soy candles. The potential for frosting, cauliflowering, cottagecheesing, etc. always exists, so the best we can do is to make the candle using techniques that discourage the formation of the undesirable crystal structures, then keep the candles in an environment which discourages the growth of those undesirables.

There is no ONE solution! Because this is an inherent physical property of the oils used, one has to attack the problem from as many points as possible.

Sorry and don't mean to hijack the thread, but have to ask.

We're supposed to melt the USA before adding it? I plan on using my daisy crock/fryer, with a cookie cutter to seperate it from my pour pot with water. Just wondering if I'm supposed to melt the USA before adding it, then add it to melted wax? Going to use C3 as well and curious. Never thought about it before. Should be ordering my wax this week, and getting very excited, and want to do this as right as I possibly can.

Sorry and don't mean to hijack the thread, but have to ask.

We're supposed to melt the USA before adding it? I plan on using my daisy crock/fryer, with a cookie cutter to seperate it from my pour pot with water. Just wondering if I'm supposed to melt the USA before adding it, then add it to melted wax? Going to use C3 as well and curious. Never thought about it before. Should be ordering my wax this week, and getting very excited, and want to do this as right as I possibly can.

The USA will melt right with your wax in the Daisy, I add mine in the beginning after a little of the wax has melted down. I'm not sure it's the proper way, but it works best for me when I do it that way.