Calling All Midwest Chandlers - SE WI - N IL, IN

Hello Everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the correct spot - or mod please move

I am a small chandler who has been doing this for about 7 years. I have been contemplating opening a small candle suppy business for quite some time. In doing research, I have always been scared off because unless you are big, it is very hard to be competitive with the big guys especially where wax is concerned. However, Wax and jars is what kills all of us smaller guys with the shipping.

I always try to buy in large bulk whenever possible, but for a lot of people that just insn't possible. I am just trying to survey those out there in my neck of the woods to see what kind of interest might be out there who would be potentially interested in buying wax and jars in particular where you could pick it up and save all the $$ from shipping.

I would be just small time to begin with so my pricing wouldn't be as competitive as the big guys. In my research, I have found that there is not much $$ to be made in wax, unless you can order big, and sell in volume.

This fact has prevented me in the past from moving forward, because it doesn't look too profitable. However, I am a sucker for punishment, and would like to see more opportunity for those in this part of the country. How I envy all of those in OH, and East coast locations that can drive to pick up supplies!

Even starting small, there would be quite a sizeable investment on my part in getting stocked up on wax and jars. Before, I get too far in, I really wanted to see what kind of need or interest there is out there to see if I should continue to pursue.

For wax I would be looking at carrying:

IGI 4630, 6006, 4627, 4694 possibly to start.

Soy - Ecosoya's and possibly GB or Cargill depending on interest.

For jars:

Definately, the 8 oz mason jars. Also, Apothecaries, possibly Tureens, and whatever else is most popular.

Even though my prices may be a bit higher, it could potenially save those a lot in shipping charges overall, if people could pick up. The shipping for the heavy items is killing all of us smaller businesses. I would probably offer some type of delivery service for those that can't pick up, but would still save over shipping UPS.

I am located about 20 miles south of Milwaukee.

So for all those chandlers out there please let me know if there would be an interest for you. And what types of wax jars, etc you would be looking for.

Sorry so long, I look forward to hearing from all you out there. PM me with any ????

Thanks Again!

Heidi

I'm in Wisconsin, totally there!! would love 8oz mason jars and Soy wax Also

50/50 tart/votive wax would be awesome to see close by. Shipping for 50lb is almost 30 dollars from where I get it.

I'd be tickled pink if you as this close to me would carry these items.

Meg

I would go for it.I have been asked "Where is your shop located"?

I am contemplating one even though there are 4 others near me. Those that sell candles and one does sell wax etc. If candle supplies are scarce I sure would sell supplies.

I live where I can get my supplies BUT I love many frangrances from other companies. SO that is shipped. Also other things like warmers and candle plates. It is costly.

I have some money set aside for a shop.It will be in my backyard like all candlemakers around me. Not feasible to open one up and have to pay rent and might not make it.Also the long hours and possibly few customers.

Good Luck

LynnS

Many other small suppliers in that area of southern WI have high prices on many items. When I lived in WI (about 45 mi south of Milwaukee) I ordered all my supplies from Peak. Still do for most supplies. The cost plus shipping was still less than what the suppliers in WI were charging for most products. I live in southern Indiana now, but my parents are still in WI, so I still check prices of supplies there, for when I go up to visit, but haven't found any great deals yet. I would possibly buy wax if the price matched, or was better, than what I get here in Indiana. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to do it!:D

Leandra

Guest Candelishis

I'm in Southern IL, but hey, if your shipping was competitive, I'd totally buy from ya!

Good luck, and let us know if you decide to do it!!

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I have alot of thinking and researching to do yet. I think there might be a need, but like I said it would be a huge investment for me. That wouldn't be so bad if the profit potential was there, but wax margins are tight!! I see why a lot of suppliers steer more to the oils and smaller supplies. Unless you are a distributor, and can buy in very high volumes, than the pricing isn't that great.

I will definately keep you posted on where I end up going with this.

Leandra, I am curious where you used to purchase your wax in the Milwaukee area, I haven't come across any suppliers that sell IGI except for BCN (way too far) and DPS in IL.

Just from my rough figures, I wouldn't be way over the price they are getting, maybe $5-7 a case more (again this is just a rough estimate), which would easily be made up by the savings in shipping. So it should still be beneficial to people that don't mind driving a little and stocking up.

Oh yeah, and by the way, IGI wax is gonna be going up again beginning of December. Just what we need- another increase!! I'm sure soy is going up to from what I heard.

Hey Heidi! When I was in WI I ended up getting my wax from Peaks. I guess when I was looking at what you were thinking about carrying, I wasn't thinking specifically IGI, dumb moment I guess:o . The other suppliers in the area list their wax by the melting point, and don't state who they get it from. So I think you would be benefitial to southern WI/northern IL. I start looking around when I am going to make a trip up, or family is coming to visit me, just in case I want to experiment with some new wax or FOs.

Good luck and let us all know what you decide!

Leandra