Rice Bran Oil Question

izzy2

What colour is RBO? Is it a dark colour? This may be totally way off base here but I found a place nearby that sells RBO but it's for horses (to add sheen to their coat) and it was a dark brown colour. It states that it is all natural.

I've phoned a health food store and they can't get it in. What would be a good substitute?

My RBO is a golden color, like the color of corn oil. I buy mine at my local Asian market. I'm thinking that the RBO you found and that is used on horses is not as refined as the cooking kind is (the kind I'm used to buying), and that's why it is darker. I don't know if that's good, bad or otherwise, but you could always try it in a small sample batch to find out.

For a substitute in place of RBO, I don't know for sure since I've never substituted for it, but on the SoapCalc, Avacado Oil seemed fairly close enough in their 'quality' numbers. The SAP is a little bit higher, though- .133 instead of .128. HTH!

MarieJeanette

What quantity does the horse supply shop sell it in? If you can get a small bottle that is inexpensive, I would get one just to try it out. Mine is a golden color, but it is somewhat on the dark side because it's slightly cloudy. It isn't completely clear like canola oil, due to its different fat composition.

Here in the US animal products are very loosely regulated. I would be careful using supplies purchased for animals for that reason. There are few, if any, guide lines on purity and allowable contaminants in products produced for animals in most jurisdictions though usually a reliable company will adhere to high standards simply to stay in business (killing people’s animals is bad for business). However that doesn’t mean the RBO you purchase at the feed store is pure RBO, check state and local regulations as it could be quite legal for them to cut it with cheaper oils, even hydrocarbon based oils. My biggest concern (besides not producing an organic based product) would be the SAP value if it is indeed a blend or has a substantial amount of unsaponifiable material in it (even if nontoxic).

The RBO I bought some time ago was rather dark, though still translucent. It was food grade, and purchased in a restaurant supply store in NY.