Research & Development for 2008

Fire and Ice

It will soon be time for Research and Developement phase of my business. My last show is next week and then I will be investing some time and hard earned money into researching and developing a whole new line of Bath & body products in the fall of 2008.

CP Soap

Lip Balms

Shower Wash

Body spays

Lotion

Much of these will be bases that I add color and scent to but the CP soap will be my own. It may seem like a long time before debuting these products but I need to be absolutely sure of the products in the testing and development stages first. Testing IS the most important part! I'll test and test and then test some more. And the first thing I'll debute are the lip balms. These will come out next summer, maybe.

What are all of you doing this winter in research and development?

Fire

Sugar Scrubs (highest priority to begin before the end of the year)

Hand Salve? or Cuticle Cream (a la Bert's Bees)

Bath soaks - don't know what kind, yet

I really want to play around with some Muds, too (expensive mud pies are on the horizon - lol!)

And (gasp!) I may start playing around with candle pillars again. I kind of miss them.

You're a lot braver or ambitious doing the CP thing -- if I ever want to add handmade soap to my business, I'll be contacting someone on here to wholesale from!

I forsee lots of money leaving my bank account in the near future......

I just added ornies(still working on getting them online)

I am thinking I may finally end up trying to do jar/container candles

I know everyone always thinks pillar candles are hard but I to me trying to figure out the right wicks for the containers and such seemed harder.

But I know to be a full service candle maker I got to master those next!

I got the CP soap done this year so next year will be container candles :D

As for research and development, I like you, will be incoporating a shower gel or wash into my line. I will also introduce a hand salve. I am strongly thinking about bringing bath salts back for the Fall of 2008. Bath Salts are a hit or miss for me. So to sum it up, here is what I plan to have by the Fall of 2008

All of my CP soaps will essential oil based

Body Wash or Gel

Lip Balms

Sugar Scrubs

Hand Salve

Bath Salts

The ones in red will be newbies

I want to add a classier jar to my line

I did that this year :( People asked me for more upscale jars so I added one. Then come my shows--they did not sell, why? They were 8 oz. People didn't want to pay more for that jar when they could get more wax in my mason for cheaper. I felt like screaming. Last year when people asked me for a more upscale jar, I explained it would be more expensive because the jars would be more. That seems to have been missed by them and even though I explained it to the same people, bottom line was the dollar. When I said that last year, the line I got was that they didn't mind paying more. Apparently they did. Sometimes you can't win. :sad2:

It will soon be time for Research and Developement phase of my business. My last show is next week and then I will be investing some time and hard earned money into researching and developing a whole new line of Bath & body products in the fall of 2008.

CP Soap

Lip Balms

Shower Wash

Body spays

Lotion

Much of these will be bases that I add color and scent to but the CP soap will be my own. It may seem like a long time before debuting these products but I need to be absolutely sure of the products in the testing and development stages first. Testing IS the most important part! I'll test and test and then test some more. And the first thing I'll debute are the lip balms. These will come out next summer, maybe.

What are all of you doing this winter in research and development?

Fire

Other than the CP, what's the research and development for? You said you will be using bases. They can be ready to go fast since you just add fragrance.

Other than the CP, what's the research and development for? You said you will be using bases. They can be ready to go fast since you just add fragrance.

Sorry, I use M&P and I add stuff, no way would I just dump stuff in and sell without first testing it to see if the FO was going to perform ok, not discolor, etc. etc. You always test, even if you are just adding FO. You don't have to test as much, but you still have to test period. I am not selling M&P or any B&B I make, but I would use just as much or more caution than candles on items that are going on skin.

Research and development is also a process where you plan what you are going to be doing, as far as what scents, colors, packaging, labelling, whether or not you have a market for the item--lots of things you would research and develop.

For one thing, I have to find the right bases. I refuse to just pick one and run with it.

I also have to ensure that ALL of my line is fully tested. MY customers want to see the paper work proving I know what I am doing. My products will go on someone's skin!

I had to show proof to people that my candles burn properly. I bring the proof to every show I do. I bring several testers burned to different points in the jars. I also, if asked can produce the tester sheets by my testers on each scent, each wax, each color.

With all of the people with overy sensitve skin issues and the like, I'd darn well better test out the wazooie! Knowing how to properly label everything is a another area that I must master! Third, I must be able to talk about EVERYTHING and be able to answer ALL questions. This will certainly be true for my CP soap. I always try to inform my customers about everything I product and why. It is best to know your facts.

Fire

Looking forward to R&D next year, big time.

New line of soaps - a new brand, with special marketing and labeling and website. Probably higher price too :)

2 new unscented varieties.

2 new EO blends

1 new EO blend that will replace an FO.

1 new lip balm EO flavor, maybe 2. New label design.

Design new marketing materials.

Decide if I want to drop my lotions for the 2nd time. I'm just not comfortable with bases, don't know why I keep trying.

I'm working on a new line of all natural dry facial masks...one for mature skin, one for sensitive skin and one for oily/acne prone skin...I've already started and am having soooo much fun...

also working a dry natural facial cleanser that you just add your own water, a natural toner and a facial serum...R & D will follow once I get my masks where I want them...

Cleaning out junk and stuff I don't really use that takes up valueable space

Reducing my line to only the best selling items/scents...I am cutting out 9 Bath & Body products and 5 scents...plus some candle scents...nixing the 16oz Jelly Jar Candle since I sell maybe one every once in a while.

Buying more in bulk to save $$:D

Getting a space ready gradually to eventually open a shop in that we were just using for storage/warehouse/band practice space.

Finding things I know I have somewhere but packed in the move and well they are still MIA :undecided...like my metal spoon things I use to stir wax...some b&b bottles...cello bags....and I am sure there is more.

Increasing my Sugar Scrub size per customer request

Changing my labels to something simpler but more 'user friendly' for each packaging size...concentraing on the name rather than a 'logo'...also getting some lables professionally done....for candles especially.

Find a better packaing for soaps..something more upscale looking like a box with see through lid

I think that is enough to keep me busy at lest until summer.

Professionally printed labels for me. I changed my logo to just "words" and like the simplicity of it. Next to work on getting larger wholesale account so I don't have to do craft shows anymore (this year sucked). Thank goodness for 3 fundraisers and repeat business.

I may work on lotions, body washes for myself (not for sale).

First off will be out-sourcing my candle labels.

I've thought about doing custom boxes for soap but still on the fence with it.

The more I can simplify/streamline my packaging and labeling process, the better off I'll be. I am re-designing all my promo/marketing materials, wholesale packets and some packaging.

I am dropping some B&B products and slowly going to add my facial line for different skin types. I've been working on this for a LONG time. I need to get it moving or kill the idea altogether. I also need to work on e-commerce and SEO, big time. I've put that off way too long.

Back to basics for me. Scale back on product and work my target market. ;)

So much to do and so little time.

• Settle on a container(s), been testing different ones for a yr and need to pick one style to focus on.
  • Wicked Pillars - everlasting are fun but need to get over my fear of wicking pillars. That means lots more testing. I can make them but just haven't been confident on the wicking.
  • CP soap testing - Eugenia's CP class really hooked me.
  • Evaluate marketability of bath salts for my area

I want to research more on essential oils and their benefits. I have always been fascinated by them! I think 2008 is the year I am going to learn lotion and LS!! I am thinking of cutting my fragrance list waaaaay back. I have all these fragrances available for sale, yet I keep selling the same ones over and over again. That should tell me something right there! Instead of adding items, I will probably be decreasing some. I want to go back to "simple". Once you start offering a certain amount of products that aren't readily stocked, it becomes a giant PITA. That's not what I started this for. (I think this is busy season talking.....can you hear it? LOL I am about sick of looking at candles already!) Back to basics, I say! I make da## good candles and soaps, why try and outdo everyone else selling stuff I don't necessarily want to make anymore? :undecided Okay, this long-winded rant was my way of saying:

1. Lotion

2. Liquid Soap

:D