Making my first Pillar out of natural wax

I will be attempting my first pillar today using Vicki's Natural Pillar wax. I have always made container candles and don't have a clue where to start on my wick size. I have a 3 x 8.5 round mold and use CD wicks. On my first burn I'd like to let it go for about 6 hours and leave 1/4 inch of wax. May I ask what it means to "hug" the candle after the burn?

Thanks for any help.

I'd start with a CD-16 or 18. I haven't made soy pillars in awhile but I do remember that you have to wick higher than paraffin. You want to hug your candle after it has burned for awhile and the rim of your wax is soft and pliable. You cup your hands around the rim of your candle and turn the sides inward...sort of like curling in your wax towards the melt pool. This will allow your candle to nearly fully consume your candle as it burns. Unfortunately, you can't "hug" soy pillars because the wax is not pliable like paraffin. So, just try give those wicks a try and let us know how you make out. Good luck!

I tend to agree with Fern. Accordingly to my wick chart you need a CD 10 for a 3" pillar but I've also read that you want to go at least 2 - 3 sizes higher for soy so that would make it a minimum of a CD 14 so a CD 16 is probably a safe bet. Remember, if you don't like the result you can always stick it back in the pot and try another size. Good luck.