Pier 1 Import comparsion

I have something ironic to share since a few of us have been discussing the dreadful frosting issues lately on this board.

Yesterday my friend told me that she went to Pier 1 inports and bought some candles and some other things. She said that they had some really nice scents and asked the girl if they would have a good scent throw -- she had gotten others before from there that did not. The girl said that their seasonal ones would be great. My friend suggested that I go there to look at some of the really pretty containers and that I may find some really nice ones to pour candles in. She also wanted me to sniff the scents of the candles to get some ideas. So, I went in there today and first I was very surprised to find that they use the same jars I do -- Footed Victorian square jars. I have not been in Pier 1 for almost 2 years and could not even remember what their candles even looked liked -- it was before my candlemaking days. Then I noticed that the wax had a frosted look but not like the frost we get with the soy -- more like smear streaks. I have never seen this look before in a container. The wax did not appear to look like straight soy but maybe some kind of a blend. It looked to me like they purposely wanted the candle to have that affect for the rustic/shabby chic look. They all had it. I kinda laughed and thought, "yeah, and here we are complaining about frost and they seem to pursposely make theirs look like this." I found it funny. I can't really say that it looked great but it did not look bad and it fit the look of the decor in there. So, I guess if a big company can be successful in selling their streaked/frosted candles I guess we can too. The girl there said that the customers like the look.

I think it was meant to be for me to go in there today since I have been struggling with the frosting issue. It gave me a slightly different perspective. Maybe it is the perfectionist in me that makes me not like what "looks" like imperfection even when it is not. :P

The store was beautifully decorated. :drool: It had a lot nicer look than I remember before.

~Holly

I like to go there, but I don't buy their candles very often, but I really like some of those "combo" type scents they have and I like some of the muted earthy tones.

I think you really have to look at a candle as a whole package, not just the wax. Plain soy looks great in an old apoth or canning type jar with say a black lid, a prim label, and some raffia around it on a rusty plate, but I use status and votivo style glasses and the frost and cottage-cheese-post-burn look just doesn't cut it for me in those. I remember seeing a soy line that was in nice straight containers with silvery zinc lids and labels with clean, artistic lines and fonts that looked really good. Again, it was the whole package that made it. If you look at some of those expensive designer candles - I'm sure they spent more on packaging than the ingredients in the candle themselves.

I like to go there, but I don't buy their candles very often, but I really like some of those "combo" type scents they have and I like some of the muted earthy tones.

I think you really have to look at a candle as a whole package, not just the wax. Plain soy looks great in an old apoth or canning type jar with say a black lid, a prim label, and some raffia around it on a rusty plate, but I use status and votivo style glasses and the frost and cottage-cheese-post-burn look just doesn't cut it for me in those. I remember seeing a soy line that was in nice straight containers with silvery zinc lids and labels with clean, artistic lines and fonts that looked really good. Again, it was the whole package that made it. If you look at some of those expensive designer candles - I'm sure they spent more on packaging than the ingredients in the candle themselves.

Hi Henry,

You and I seem to think alike on these lines. I have also thought the same way that the frost with soy looks better with the country/primitive look -- the more rustic look than the classic look. I have a completely different look than country/primitive -- classic/traditional/elegant look. Altough, I do like the other look too.

I was surprised to see the more rustic look of wax in those jars that were the same ones I have. And you are right, it is the whole package. At first I thought, wow, they are putting this look even in the classic jars. They were only $8.00 which seemed pretty cheap compared to other brands and there wasn't any fancy labeling -- just a simple label on the top of the flat glass lid -- round lid.

I would prefer no frosting at all, but I still would rather have frosting than the other downsides to paraffin that I experienced. If I was only able to find a paraffin blend that was right for my style jars, I would have gone that route and then maybe offered a very small line of colorless all soy candles. Oh well, maybe someday. I am happy that the soy I am using does have a good scent throw and there is NO soot!

Thanks for the insight Henry. I always enjoy your posts!

~Holly