My first recipe #s...what do yinz think?

Jo Ann

ok, here are my ingredients, # for HP

Coconut (76 degrees) 25%

Lard 30%

Olive 30%

Canola 15%

(the only other oil i have on hand is crisco)

hardness 38

cleansing 17

condition 57

bubbly 17

creamy 21

iodine 61

ins 147

patchuoli 0.35 oz

lime 0.35 oz

4-6 tsp apricot seed

now can i add 100% aloe vera gel to this without affecting any of the numbers? and if so how much?

Look pretty good to me! A lot better then my first batch numbers were. I would probably lower down canola just a touch to be on a safe side (more lard, or olive), but it looks great just as it is.

apricot seed? those are SCRATCHY in soap. if you want some exfoliation, poppy seeds are a lot better choice, they have round edges.

You can add your aloe vera after cook, probably couple tablespoons (maybe someone knows better, I'm just guessing). this will ensure that goodies stay in the finished product. or you can use some of it as your lye water.

You did good!

i have some scottish ground oat. will use that instead. (don't want one poppy seed near me cuz of drug testing, i am a nurse)

thanx for looking. but why about the canola oil? (this is the kinda things i need to know)

oats would be great.

about canola -- it is one of the oils that goes rancid easy, so the high percentage of it makes the soap prone to DOS. I had couple batches high in canola turn orange on me, but i believe i was using about 25-30%. I do think that a lower amount (5-10%) brings wonderful quality to the soap, makes it more complete as far as fatty acids content.

I'm sure there will be other opinions, and I'm not saying I'm the only one who is right. I'm just passing on the advise I have been given when i was starting out, and sharing my own experience. My very first batch had 30% canola in it, and it all got DOS after about 3 months. Interesting thing though, Crisco in the same amounts did not give me a speck of DOS. I don't sell soap made with crisco though, due to the labeling issues, but my skin loves it. Almost as much as it loves lard :D

last thing... if you are doing lemon instead of patchouli... i'm not sure if you are aware of it, but lemon EO is phototoxic. Lime is fine if it is steam distilled, but lemon something to think twice about. Plus it tends to dry out the skin a bit, so that's also a thing to consider.

hmmmm thanx.

actually i didn't buy crisco cuz of its convoluted ingredients, got the store brand which had just one with a preservative. but will change it to make less canola and replace that with crisco.

i wish i had meadowfoam. to slight increase cleansing. seems to me it would help make a good liquid soap.

To increase the cleansing me thinks you need to increase the coconut.

Example being:

Coconut 30%

Crisco 15%

Lard 20%

Canola 10%

Olive 25%

Gets you

40 Hardness

20 Cleansing

54 Conditioning

20 Bubbly

20 creamy lather

60 Iodine

155 INS

You can still get those numbers (only Iodine changing to 59) with

Coconut 30%

Crisco 10%

Lard 20%

Canola 10%

Olive 30%

thanx scented, i wanted to increase it without increasing the drying out effect of the coconut oil. but i guess my cleansing number is ok as is, it falls within the range specified at soapcalc.

will the crisco overide the drying effect of increasing coconut oil??????

i am soooo excited. hope i doen't wake up tomorrow with ucky sinus stuff. of course, its still been less than a week since my total hysterectomy....so i guess its ok if i stay in bed LOL

i printed out the following in color and big letters to put on the counter when i start.

Ingredients OGN Batch #1a

LYE 4.593 oz 130.211 gm

-----------------------------------------------------

WATER 12.16 oz 344.73 gm

mix lye into water on porch and let sit out on porch

until clear: meanwhile

In Crockpot on HIGH:

Olive Oil 8 oz 226.796 gm

==============================

Lard 6.4 oz 181.437 gm

Crisco 6.4 oz 181.437 gm

Coconut 9.6 oz 272.155 gm

Canola Oil 1.6 oz 45.359 gm

EO 0.35/68 gtts patchuoli

EO 0.35/68 gtts lime

4tsp ground oats

2 Tbsp Aloe Vera Gel 100%

Just my opinion, if your oats are large, you may want to give them a couple pulses in the blender or food processor to make them smaller (less scratchy). I've also had good success in just using 'oat water' for my lye solution by soaking the oats, squeezing and straining. Baby oatmeal works well too.

Good luck...and keep us posted!

will the crisco overide the drying effect of increasing coconut oil??????

no, not really. but it still might be a good idea to try this amount just to see how you like it. I have made 100% coconut soap before and couple people used it as a bath soap and loved it, although it was intended for laundry.

Other thing, I have mentioned crisco just in the comparison to canola and other high linoleic oils. in other words, Lard is better then crisco and you don't have to use both in the recipe:grin2:

Good luck!

I looked at your recipe again, this time at your EO blend. Do you want it to smell like Patchouli more then lime? because at equal amounts, it will. I don't know if you know about this place, but here is a nice EO blend calculator. it gives you suggestions of what blends with what, and then you can enter your batch size and it will tell you minimum amounts of EOs. It is very handy, especially for the beginner. Because Patchouli is a lot more potent then lime, so you don't need as much of it.

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php

WoW love that calc. my blend is called earth goddess and its 2 prts lime to 1 part patch.... and thats kinda the smell i would want, something called earth goddess. sigh

think i am gonna throw those oats in my little processor to make a bit smaller.

i did try and make them smaller but it didn't work. i have another flour that may work

i have spelt flour and its grainy. so i will try that. its a non fussed with by the scientist kinda grain LOL. makes a great heavy bread if one uses enough water and yeast. the oats go in with it. lol

glad i checked that flour

I'm in agreement with Carebear about not doing the additives especially if this is your first batch. I probably wouldn't even do HP and just do CP and do it with a whisk instead of a stickblender.

If you're not happy with the results and you've done something more complicated, it's going to be harder to figure out what went wrong.

I'm getting the idea that it's very important to you to understand the "why's" of soapmaking which is good. For that reason I would do the basic soap, watch what happens as it changes, keep notes on what oils you used and the results, and then make changes and start doing additives from there.

Just my opinion, and I'm new at this myself.:rolleyes2

oh well...too late, the soap is in the mold. ;-) my stick broke after 3 minutes, so its going back. stirred by hand until trace and then used my blender with plastic blender things when i added the additives and that worked well.

now its in the mold cooling off.:D

HP carebear. the stick was 6 bucks from walmart. i was stirring like crazy stopped a minute to do something and then went back to stir and well it wouldn't come on. it wasn't hot or anything, just cheap i guess. so will have to get one from linen and things or somewhere like that

the telling of my soap will be when it cools off and is cut into bars. it doesn't seem right to turn out ok the first time. but my stick did break and i did make a mess, so maybe that may count as the bad luck. i like to think of the bad luck as bingo gremlins myself. fairies gave me money when my teeth fell out. LOL

HP carebear. the stick was 6 bucks from walmart. i was stirring like crazy stopped a minute to do something and then went back to stir and well it wouldn't come on. it wasn't hot or anything, just cheap i guess. so will have to get one from linen and things or somewhere like that

the telling of my soap will be when it cools off and is cut into bars. it doesn't seem right to turn out ok the first time. but my stick did break and i did make a mess, so maybe that may count as the bad luck. i like to think of the bad luck as bingo gremlins myself. fairies gave me money when my teeth fell out. LOL