Adding glycerine to CP

Avrilon

I've searched all over and can't find out about adding glycerine to CP soap. Is it done, and if so, at what percentage? I'm a beginner and am making soap today and wondered if it can be added to my recipe. My husband loves to shave with glycerine soaps we get from the health food store, but I'm not too interested in making glycerine soap. So I was wonderig if it might be possible to add some glycerine to my MP recipe to give it more "slip" for his shaving. Any help would be most appreciated!

:)

This is from Brambleberry's site. You can make a nice CP shaving soap (which already contains natural glycerin) by adding Bentonite for the 'slip'. Here's the quote:

"Technically, all hand made soap is “Glycerin Soap.” In many commercial soaps, all the extra glycerin (formed naturally by the cold process soapmaking method) is harvested out. Thus, all handmade soap is glycerin rich (since hand made soapmakers don’t harvest out glycerin in their soap).

In today’s market, the term “Glycerin Soap” is commonly used to refer to clear soap. Generally, the clear soap has extra glycerin added to it to produce a very nourishing, moisturizing bar. Glycerin is a “humectant.” It draws moisture to itself; the theory is that if you wash with glycerin soap, a thin layer of glycerin will remain, drawing moisture to your skin."

The previous soapmaker from the Philippines whom I purchased wholesale from before had a good glycerin soap actually, didn't dry the skin out. Some of my customers with really sensitive skin who had been using dermatologist-referred soaps actually preferred this soap.

On the other hand, a long time ago I tried the Neutrogena glycerin soap, and that stuff is really drying!

Neutrogena facial bar ingredients:

TEA Stearate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Tallowate, Glycerin, Water (Purified), Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Ricinoleate, TEA Oleate, Cocamide DEA, Fragrance, Tocopherol

I'm like CB and most commercial glycerin soaps really dry my skin out. IMO cp should not need any extra glycerin added to it. You could make your hubby a shaving soap doing CP soap that I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up liking more than the glycerin shaving soap. There are some wonderful cp shaving soap recipes out there.

edited for typos.