Candle sweating fo

gmp

Hi,

I'm sure this topic is out there, but I couldn't find it. Some candles I made two days ago are developing oil spots. I have been using this fo/wax/jar combo for a while now, this is the first time it has happened. I also made some Pear scented candles which came out fine, it was just the Hansel and Gretel that are bleeding a bit.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I use 6% fo pp.

Do I need to ditch the candles and re-make them? I am wondering if this is cosmetic or a serious flaw. They are small oil spots, but are on all four sides. I wonder if I heat gun the sides if that will make a difference. My house is cold, I also wonder if I move them to a warmer spot if that will help.

Thanks for any help on this! :D

Do you mean the FO is pooling on top, or are you talking about wet spots? It they are wet spots, a heat gun will take care of it only temporarily. If it's cold that's why its happening...mine are doing it too.

No, it's not wet spots, I have those too, lol. This is oil bleeding out of the candle and stuck bet. the candle and glass. It's not necessarily pooling, it's just in little bits. This typically happens when you use a high fo load, but I'm only using 6% in J223 so that's why I'm puzzled.

I had the same issue when I used to use 223 years back. Only a few FO's did it no matter how little I used. It is not the wax it is the FO. Try adding a few grains of Vybar.. that usually keeps it in.

Also should mention that if your climate has recently changed then that could have something to do with it too.

Thanks for the feedback, and the tip about Vybar. I'll have to look into that. I really appreciate it. In any case, do I have to toss these candles then? Or can I still burn them in spite of the oil bits? I did heat gun the sides and it went away, I'll know tomorrow if the oil comes back.

Thanks for the feedback, and the tip about Vybar. I'll have to look into that. I really appreciate it. In any case, do I have to toss these candles then? Or can I still burn them in spite of the oil bits? I did heat gun the sides and it went away, I'll know tomorrow if the oil comes back.

Just mop up any oil from the top and they should be fine to burn. I get oil weeping if it's a heavy oil and my wax (C3) can't take it...I either mop it up and burn them myself or melt them down, add more wax and repour them. They'll be fine either way. You'll know for next time with that fo...when it's cold you may have to use less. Just about the time I go into winter mode, the temp warms up and we have an 80 degree week! It's hard for candle making to find that perfect environment and things sure do change with the weather.

Just mop up any oil from the top and they should be fine to burn. I get oil weeping if it's a heavy oil and my wax (C3) can't take it...I either mop it up and burn them myself or melt them down, add more wax and repour them. They'll be fine either way. You'll know for next time with that fo...when it's cold you may have to use less. Just about the time I go into winter mode, the temp warms up and we have an 80 degree week! It's hard for candle making to find that perfect environment and things sure do change with the weather.

Thanks KandleKrazy.

That Hansel and Gretel whupped my butt! Using the heat gun on the glass didn't work, it came right back. Since these were for a friend I had to make them over, and that fo did not want to mix in. I had to raise the temp, mix, raise the temp, mix, until it all worked in. I may be searching for a new gingerbread scent soon.................

Thanks KandleKrazy.

That Hansel and Gretel whupped my butt! Using the heat gun on the glass didn't work, it came right back. Since these were for a friend I had to make them over, and that fo did not want to mix in. I had to raise the temp, mix, raise the temp, mix, until it all worked in. I may be searching for a new gingerbread scent soon.................

I've had good luck with mine, it's from Gen Wax and it doesn't really smell gingerbread at all. More of a cinnamon sugar cookie, and not too spicy.

"Sweating" is called syneresis and can occur in any wax, particularly if loaded with oils. The temperature and relative humidity have a lot to do with this issue. Sometimes, newly poured candles will sweat a little. After sitting up for a week or so, the sweating vanishes. Sometimes, tiny beads of "sweat" can be seen when first lighting a candle on the area just beyond the melt pool. This is the expansion of the warming wax forcing the oil out.

Wet spots are caused by the wax not adhering to the jar and if the jar has been cleaned prior to pouring, is usually temperature related.

From my understanding, this is not syneresis" (sweating.) Rather it is oil that has not blended sitting on the sides between the glass & wax. When my candles sweat on top from being too humid or too hot, the oil does not reabsorb. It just sits on top of the candle. Before we started controlling the humidity/temp in our storage shop, I had many candles ruin. Carole