Presto Electric Griddle

Anyone use one of these to keep the jars warm before pouring. My shop is in the basement and the oven isn't convenient. I try warming the jars with the heat guns but looking for something quicker. Walmart has one for $19.99...not sure how low the temp goes....

Thanks

I personally would not use a griddle for warming jars. Griddles heat only from the bottom and have no way to contain heat around the containers. Jars should not be subjected to direct heat applications. I think you would be better off either using a roaster/oven or a heat gun if you choose to preheat jars. :wink2:

Another idea - you could heat the jars in your oven upstairs and place them in an el cheapo styrofoam container (cooler) to keep them warm. I use one for keeping palm candles evenly warm after pouring and I can vouch for how LONG they will keep containers warm! :wink2:

I have a professional food warmer that is the same set up as a griddle. Its powered by coils. Being that heat rises you could start the jars on the lowest setting possible. Turn it off and pour the wax. Let the wax sit on the warmer as it cools. The heat will work its way upward through the jar and wax and gradually cool down. The key is to temper the wax by keeping it in constant motion as it gradually cools to the precise pouring temperature. So keep stirring it before you are ready to pour so it doesn't crystalize to fast leaving a rough top.

Another good idea.....I'm a little confused on the stirring part though. Are you saying to stir from the time you mix the wax with the FO/Dye until it's the right temp to pour. I typically heat to 175F, add FO/Dye and then cool to 125F and pour. It can be up to 15-20 minutes or more before the temp drops to 125F, so you're saying stir that whole time?

All this was working really good until the weather started getting colder here in CT and now I'm fighting the frost again....I could almost see the crystals forming immediately after I poured even though the jars weren't really that cold. I'm beginning to embrace the frost more and more :rolleyes2

Also, do you have any suggestions on where to purchase a warming tray reasonably? Most of the ones I saw were near $100.....

Thanks...

Thanks Carole...

Do you also leave them on the griddle to cool. I low does it go in temp. I kind of liked that idea with the warming tray. Now I put them back in the box that the jar came in and cover them with towels. My husband says I treat them like babies....:P

I love my presto griddle and would be lost without it. I do not use it to warm jars though. I use it to keep my pour pots warm so when I pour the wax from presto pot into pouring pitcher it does not cool to quickly. I also put my pour pitcher on griddle while I am mixing in the fo and dye. Of course I use paraffin so I don't really have to let it cool down, just keep the temp up while I add fo and dye. It is also great to put your pillar and votive molds on that need more that wiping out to clean. I turn the upside down and the wax melts right out. Just be very careful and use a mit or something because the molds get very hot.

I use the same griddle to warm jars before I pour. I set it on warm and the jars are just warm to the touch on the tops. I also cool the jars on bath towels to help keep cool a little more slowly. No problems so far and I've done this for over a year

Thanks everyone for the great replys......I'm going to go ahead and get a griddle since they're so much more reasonable than a food warmer....sounds like there are multiple ways I can put it to use. Hopefully hubby increased the size of the circuit breaker in the shop, sometimes my "candling tools"....turkey fryer, heat gun, griddle, presto pot and radio, create no lights!

Yea Brenda - I had that to happen and had to increase circuit. Happened in the middle of pouring for a large order and hubby at work. Had to call my handy man. Everybody needs one of those:yay: :yay: :yay:

My handyman always makes me think of Randy as in Alabama!!!