Frosted Glass Solution

I've seen a few posts lately about certain containers being discontinued in the frosted version or not being offered at all. I've found the frosted versions cost more & are generally more difficult to find. For those who don't mind an extra step to get what they want ... I've found a nice solution. Rust-oleum makes a specialty frosted glass spray http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=38&SBL=1 that I picked up at Home Depot for $4.50. I just sprayed a clear glass flower pot votive holder & it looks JUST like the frosted glass I have such a hard time finding. Krylon also makes this, so I'll check Wal Mart to see if they carry it. I'm going to try spraying over the frosted glass w/ color, for some Christmas containers. BTW, in the past I tried the brush on glass etching sold at Hobby Lobby & it was a total pita. Very messy & uneven results. I'm so excited about finding this & it looks beautiful! HTH anyone needing frosted glass.

Susan.

I've used that in the past. I have multiple panes in my front and back doors. I used a fern stencil and it looks like etched glass. Been on there for a couple of years. Does great. The back door faces the west sun and the heat hasn't done anything to it. The moisture hasn't effected the panes either.

If you mess up you can just scratch it off with a razor blade and start over. I love the stuff and that is a great idea! You are right, it is sticky and messy!

I'll drop a votive in it tomorrow & do a marathon burn to test it, but I think it will be fine. The can says it can be washed w/ mild soap/water, but not to put it in the dishwasher. The frost can be removed w/ acetone (nail polish remover). Still thinking about how to color it ... Delta has a bunch of paints for glass, but that would probably mean sealing w/ polyurethane. I know that stands up to heat, cause I seal my labels w/ it already & have tested that many times.

Susan.

I tested the container I frosted w/ a marathon burn of 18.5 hrs w/ absolutely no problem. I even scratched at the container w/ my nail to see if the frost would give way to the heat. Then I put the container in the oven @ 170 for 30 minutes, wiped it out, let it cool & washed it w/ soap & water -- held up beautifully & the frost wasn't weakened in any way. I'm pretty excited about being able to frost any container I want.

Susan.

If you don't want to use a spray-on product, "frosting" glass is pretty easy. Contact a stained glass studio or glass & mirror shop and ask if they can blast the glassware for you. Sandblasting is quick and easy for someone who has the equipment. I don't know what someone would charge for this service, but it shouldn't be much...

You could use etching cream, but it would be expensive to use to frost a large amount of glassware. It also has hydrofloric acid in it (mighty mean stuff). The good thing about using etching cream is that you could also etch a design on the glass (or leave a design). :)

If you don't want to use a spray-on product, "frosting" glass is pretty easy. Contact a stained glass studio or glass & mirror shop and ask if they can blast the glassware for you. Sandblasting is quick and easy for someone who has the equipment. I don't know what someone would charge for this service, but it shouldn't be much...

You could use etching cream, but it would be expensive to use to frost a large amount of glassware. It also has hydrofloric acid in it (mighty mean stuff). The good thing about using etching cream is that you could also etch a design on the glass (or leave a design). :)

Good idea