Bad Batches of Paraffin?

Of the batches and types I've used, no.

I did have one case with some water logged paraffin and that was it.

Heck I've got some wax that's 50+ years old, definitely paraffin, that hasn't had any problems.

I suppose it would depend on what is put into the blends that would affect their survival rate.

I think bad batches can happen with paraffin or paraffin blends. The parasoy 6006 I had problems with most likely had nothing to do with the 20% soy it contained. I have had a couple of bad batches of 223 ( some have been full of water, another was so sticky it quit releasing from my clamshells (2/3 4794 1/3 223.) The wax was just stuck to the plastic. I had always made tarts & melts with 1/3 223.

Maybe just PLAIN paraffin, no additives, could not be mfg'd improperly, but I would still test new cases (or batch #s.) I think more inconsistencies we have with pouring candles is due to the wax rather than wicks, dyes, or FOs. It's a shame that we have to be so defensive. Carole

You bet. When I first started making candles I opted for straight paraffin (I was pretty green at the time). There was no consistency to that wax, and it was an IGI wax. I got tired of that and after a few years went to a paraffin blend. Things were going fine till one case developed the "brains". It took them months to finally tell me that "oops, we added to much vybar to that batch, just add some mineral oil and that will fix it". I didn't buy wax that I needed to "fix", and on top of that it was right during the fall and winter busy season. They fixed that and I used that wax for about 4 years, and now I'm using a para/soy blend and as you can guess, each case seems to be a bit different. I'd love to find a consistant wax, totally consistant, it's one thing to have to test everything when you buy a new wax, but to test each case is crazy not to mention time consuming and expensive!!!

I'd love to find a consistant wax, totally consistant, it's one thing to have to test everything when you buy a new wax, but to test each case is crazy not to mention time consuming and expensive!!!

time and money, guess they, wax manufactures, don't think it's that big of a deal. At least that's the message they are sending.