Help a sista out with yet another lotion question wouldja?

daniedb

So, I *finally* got the lotion making down! Whee! I love this recipe that Purple Lilac and I worked on together, and am very, very happy with it. It makes a wonderfully thick cream, and I love it. Now I want to lighten it for all-over body use...and I'm just a little stuck.

Do I just increase the water % in the recipe and drop the oils and butters % accordingly? Or should I leave out the butters and only use oils and keep the water % the same?

Here's the basic recipe:

9 oz aloe juice

2.25 oils

3 oz butters

.5 oz glycerin

.5 oz e-wax

.5 oz soy wax

Okay, so I went ahead and experimented, because I'm impatient - here's the doctored recipe:

9 oz aloe juice

1 oz sunflower oil

1 oz sweet almond oil

1 oz FCO

.25 beeswax

.5 glycerin

.5 e-wax

I'm just now blending it, it looks fine so far, but we will see! :confused:

Okay, fine...I'll just keep answering my own question. :laugh2:

After sitting overnight, it's thickened a little, but not enough. It's more like body milk than lotion. I think I need to add 1 or 2 oz of butters. I'll report back to myself later, when I try it!

And now that I've gone back and read your previous posts more carefully (d'oh) I can see what you are trying to do here.. Not sure how big your batch is, but yeah, just keep adding in the shea or cocoa or whatever you're using until it's where you want it, but it probably will have to sit for at least a few hours in between additions of the butters for you to notice a difference in the thickeness..maybe even up to 6 hours or so..although it shouldn't take quite that long.