Golden Brands 474 vrs Cargil v1

Is thier a huge differance between this wax as far as the texture of the votives. When I used the V1 they just slide out of my molds.I really want to try this wax so I can order every thing from CS.Are the HT and CT the same as V1? Any help would be great..

Is thier a huge differance between this wax as far as the texture of the votives. When I used the V1 they just slide out of my molds.I really want to try this wax so I can order every thing from CS.Are the HT and CT the same as V1? Any help would be great..

I am so glad you asked this question...look forward to hearing the answers!!

• 1 month later...
I ordered some Golden Brands 416 & 474. It should be here today so, I'll let you know what I find out.

I made my first batch of votives yesterday with GB 474. When I unmolded, they literally slid effortlessly out of the mold and have a beautiful creamy smooth texture! I love this wax! I used straight 474 to test. I will let you know more when I add FO and color. There was no need for re-pour on all but one and that was one I deliberately left unwicked. I'm going to try my boyfriend's drill press for ease of wicking and will let you know how that turns out.

I made some melts this weekend with the 474 and also had no problem getting them out of the mold. The problem I am having is when I went to melt them in the tart warmer, I couldn't get the wax to completely melt. I had a melt pool of approx. 2 inches but the wax was solidified around that.

I then tried to do a blend of 75% C3 and 25% 474 and it helped a little bit but I still didn't get a full melt pool. Does anyone have any ideas on what happened or how to fix this?

I made some melts this weekend with the 474 and also had no problem getting them out of the mold. The problem I am having is when I went to melt them in the tart warmer, I couldn't get the wax to completely melt. I had a melt pool of approx. 2 inches but the wax was solidified around that.

I then tried to do a blend of 75% C3 and 25% 474 and it helped a little bit but I still didn't get a full melt pool. Does anyone have any ideas on what happened or how to fix this?

And how big are the melts? I can't believe you're having a problem with any of these waxes. I make palm tarts, 1 oz that completely melt, and palm has a higher melt point than soy. I do use the heating plate electric warmers that have the dish on top. Even my candle warmers will completely melt them and that doesn't get quite as hot as the warming plate burners.

I have found out that it is not the melt, it is that the tealite itself, that is not hot enough to melt the melt.I buy those cheap ones to use for my burners. Its not cost effective for me to make plain tealits for this.Hope this helps.

I made my first batch of votives yesterday with GB 474. When I unmolded, they literally slid effortlessly out of the mold and have a beautiful creamy smooth texture! I love this wax! I used straight 474 to test. I will let you know more when I add FO and color. There was no need for re-pour on all but one and that was one I deliberately left unwicked. I'm going to try my boyfriend's drill press for ease of wicking and will let you know how that turns out.

Well, I just lit one of my new votives w/GW 474! I had planned on allowing to cure for at least 48 hours but, I've been sitting here at the computer and can smell it from here. Thus, I couldn't take it any longer :P ! I should have wicked one size up but it is still doing well considering. It has good hot throw. I used a small amount of Candlescience's Moon Lake Musk, which is well below the recommended amount and I'm surprised it has such a good throw. But, I love the scent of just a plain soy candle burning, that soft natural scent of soy, IMO, is very nice. So, I thought I'd go light on the FO and see. I think it smells very good and I notice just a hint of the soy itself throwing, which I really like. Others might not notice this but I do, guess that's just 'cause I'm hooked on making soy candles!!!:grin2: I'll let you know how the burn test turns out especially considering I should have used larger wick.

Well, I just lit one of my new votives w/GW 474! I I'll let you know how the burn test turns out especially considering I should have used larger wick.

Which wick did you decide on for these votives? I just got this wax and and bunch of new wicks and am ready to test :yay:

Which wick did you decide on for these votives? I just got this wax and and bunch of new wicks and am ready to test :yay:

I currently use CSN wicks. On the votive, I used CSN 9 but should have wicked up one size. I have about 7-8 hours in this votive with probably 4-5 more hours left. I would like to get at least 15 hrs out of my votive but not sure if that is going to work for me yet on this one. I'll keep you posted. I used CSN Moon Lake Musk and since this was just for me, I decided to go light on the FO (3/4 tsp.) For this low amount of FO, I'm getting a good CT & HT that is just a good light aroma filling my kitchen and living room. Honestly, can't believe that you could even smell it with this low amount but, it worked for me. I do love working with the 474 wax. I tried the 416 and found that I do not like pouring at low temps, just don't have the patience for it.:P Good luck!