looking for suggestions - room temps and pouring

i'm looking for some suggestions. we moved into a new place this summer and i have been working out of the garage. i love it, i would prefer to NOT move inside now that it's cold, but i've never had to deal with the problems that the cold air brings.

(hit post too early oops)

my method yesterday was warm each case of jars with the heat gun, pour into the jars at about 165. pin the wicks up and take the case inside where it's warmer to cool. at this point they are still liquid. well, ive never heated the jars in the cases and left them like that and what's happening is that the tops of the candles are cooling faster than the rest and i am getting little pits in the tops - some of them have little holes, so i have to hit them all with the heat gun. if this is my only option, i can deal with it, but i'd prefer to not have to.

my ideas so far - don't warm the jars in the cases or don't leave them in the cases to cool. maybe it's keeping them too warm on the bottoms? my problem with this would be that i definatley don't want to leave them to cool in the cold garage, so getting them in after pouring would be a pain.

pour inside - i would prefer to not do this, either. though yes, i do know it would solve all my problems, lol.

i will be getting a small heater to use while i am working out there, but i can't see that making enough difference to leave the candles out there to cool.

just looking for ideas. thanks guys :)

I live in Wisconsin and weather is always an issue. Summer is the best because the wax pours faster, the jars are warm and mottles are easier ;)

But in Winter I have to heat the garage (I only heat it to about 50). I don't heat my jars, but instead move them inside the house for the night the day before I need to pour. And when I'm ready, I grab them from the house and bring them out, pouring right away. It works well for me.

HOWEVER - I do not reccomend storing your finished jars in the garage over the cold winter months. I had an entire case of jars where my wick stickums detatched from the bottom. The cold room made the wax shrink (I could tip the jar over and the wax would fall out) and the stickum came loose.

Basically what I do is use a Kerosene heater in my shop on those really cold days.. I go out an hour or so before I am ready to work, fire it up, and then it makes the room nice and toasty. You can turn it down once the room is at the temp you want, and then you can just do your thing. I have a 24 x 24 shop above my garage. Hope this helps ya some.

thanks guys. :)

sara, that's what i tried today, bringing the jars inside a couple hours before i started to warm up. i took them out of the cases to cool, and these ones are doing much better.

now if i can just remember to pick that heater up and bring it over here i will be good.