Attention those using credit card terminals

If you process credit cards and such at craft shows, which terminal do you use and how? I'm looking into this but do not even know where to start looking. I want something I can use for shows and otherwise. Currently I use paypal on my website but nothing for those who do not have paypal. Thanks.

I don't use any terminals (built into my POS system in our store) but here are few things to think about consider when using terminals -

1. Connections - you'll need a dial tone or ethernet connection (although I think some terminals can use a cellular connection to dial out) to authorize the cards

2. What cards will you take? If you can stick with debit your costs will be dramatically lower than non-debit. Also, if you decide to take Discover and American Express be prepared to pay at least 1-2% more in fees through those merchants.

3. Shop around for merchant processors. There are a lot of them on the 'net and even locally. Many times you can get a free terminal if you sign up with them.

HTH some!

~Allen

Actually, my husband & I have a business unrelated to candles, but when we do shows we have a phone # that we call to get Authorization on Visa, MC, & Discover (no AmEx) using our cell phone. We have one of those carbon copy type manual slide units & we just write the Auth # on there & have the customer sign it. I will PM you the info if you are interested! HTH!

Mary <><

There's also the option to run transactions "offline." Some handheld terminals will store the information and then you can connect it to your cell phone or computer later and run all the transactions. there is a risk in doing that -- if the card is denied then now you are in a position of tracking down the user. The Eastern Market in DC does this -- the vendors there ask for your phone number so they can contact you if your transaction runs into hiccups.

Just another option for you.

I do offline and download everything when I get home. If I don't have electricity I use a battery back up that I bought at Walmart for around $30-$40. Here's who I use:

Max DeckerFirst National Merchant SolutionsRegional Sales Executive, Houston, TX281-252-0146281-259-9461 Faxmdecker@fnni.com Website www.firstnationalmerchantsolutions.comGreat rates, great customer service, and very friendly. On top of everything else I got my credit card terminal for free!

Be sure and read all the fine print carefully and figure out how much and what all the fees are before choosing a provider. Watch out for contracts, early termination fees, statement fees, equipment rental fees, monthly service fees, percentage on transaction fees, preferred card fees, minimum transaction fees, voice support fees, dog fart fees, connection fees, batch close fees, atm fees, and so on. It's a frickin racket-shop it carefully!