Tallow

"Beef tallow - This fat is extracted from beef adipose tissue. By definition, tallow is fat rendered primarily from cattle, but it also is fat from sheep and goats.

Inedible tallow gives numerous and various derivatives from plastics, lotions, soaps and detergents, tires, candles, paints and varnishes, lubricants and several pharmaceuticals."

Just read the ingredients .. if you see lard or tallow listed then you'll know.

Nevermind I think I found the answer.

Pre-Creamed shortning is mainly tallow and lard. I render my own tallow. I call our local butcher and he saves me the kidney fat and sells it to me for like .15 cents per pound ground up for me. Kidney fat is the best fat to render from beef. I can give you some if you drop by.

Paul....

Dang, I seriously need to drive up to your neck of the woods. I need to hit Springfield soon for some candle wax. People still wanting candles... I use to love making candles until I started soap =P. All I'll probably need is beveller for now. You dont have to give me tallow. I would buy it from you for much higher $$ then what you pay since you put in all of the elbow grease =).

I've got a friend who is going deer hunting this weekend and I was just wondering how difficult it is to render deer tallow or has anyone ever used it or done it?

I have never rendered it but I do use it in a few of my soaps and love it. I also have buffalo, racoon, boar and goat tallow that I use. I love them all. They all make a nice hard bar. The men love to buy those soaps.

I've got a friend who is going deer hunting this weekend and I was just wondering how difficult it is to render deer tallow or has anyone ever used it or done it?

Just a word of advice.... Venison has very little fat. I debated that last year after hunting and came to the thought of.... nah, too much work,lol. :cheesy2:

I buy deer tallow from a woman online, bought 9 pounds a year ago. I won't go into selling soap with deer tallow for fear of causing a mad house, beleave me, it has happened at another forum! I do use it for my personal soaps and love it! It makes a white bar and a hard bar. Shhhh Paul, be quiet now!!!

Paul....