I felt the sting of rejection today..

Hillary

A friend told me to check out a store where she's friends with the owner. She said she was sure she's be interested in carrying my candles, they do consignment and wholesale. It's all local crafts, very earthy stuff. So today I went in and met the owner and had a nice chat with her. We started talking about the candles and I told her mine are a blend of paraffin and soy. In a matter of seconds I realized there was no way she was going to sell a candle with paraffin. She talked about how great soy was and how she'd had such great soy candles in the past. In a very round about way she was letting me know she didn't want to have anything to do with paraffin in her shop, or even FO's for that matter. She thought EO's were the only healthy choice.

I know it's totally her choice and her perogitive and I respect that completely. I just didn't like being on the other end of it. I guess I had my hopes up about getting in this shop and it was kind of a let down. Not to mention how I felt like I was the bad guy for using the killer wax paraffin, poisoning people with FO's and who knows what other chemicals.

I know not to take it personally. I'm just realy bummed and not many other people would get it. Thanks for reading and getting it.

Oh I hear ya, when I'm at a trade show and someone stops and says "are these soy" I reply no they are a parrafin blend. If they indicate they are wanting soy I point them in the direction of a friendly soy candlemaker. It makes their exit from my booth and ME feel better. There's plenty of buyers out there for both of us. But at least you picked up immediately on her cues and new when to cut your losses.

Yeah, I guess I should just move on from here. It's just one person's opinion. I've barely put myself out there yet. I should just put on my big girl pants and not be so sensitive about it. Mostly, it was a let down. I really thought this would be a sure thing, but other opportunities will come. It just sucks to be painted as the "bad one". A customer asked me the other day about wax "which one is the good one and which one is the bad one?" I guess in some peoples eye's any paraffin is "bad". Like you said clonefan-there are buyers for all of us.

I have had so many potential customers walking away from my candles for this reason. I have gone back to testing soy again. My "blend" and my explanations aren't cutting it. I live in an extremely eco-friendly city and if I want to sell candles, they must be soy. It is so frustrating!

Lol.. Wicked1... I started to read your post with out really looking at the poster... just reading along down the line and when i got to yours stating how you live in a super eco friendly area, etc... I really connected.. I connected so much that I looked up to see where you were from... lmbooooooo... somewhere in the back of my head I must have known....

Treehugger Oregon. We are so green here that when someone says they are 'seeing green'... it's a GOOD thing. :rolleyes2 We eat, sleep and crap green.

Yeah, I know. That last bit was TMI. :P

I'm very hesitant to have any kind of future plans to sell anything wax that could be compared to soy. But I have been feeling the itches of wanting to put a wick in my tart wax, lol. So I know someday I will venture down that path, but other than for myself- why even bother? At least when it comes to what sells in 'my' area in regards to shops, fairs and shows.

I totally feel your pain:awww:

I'm sorry, but it wouldn't have been the right market for you. You need to find a store that is looking for great scented & colorful candles and that's the main focus. I did like your analogy of a vegan eating a burger. I had an experience at a craft show recently where the woman literally put her nose up at my 50/50 blend and said she was eco-friendly and a vegan. I quickly pointed out her beautiful leather coat and asked "how do you get your coat to look and feel like leather?" She looked at me puzzled and I asked "Is your coat leather?" She replied "of course." And I said, oh, you just don't EAT animals, right? That was the end of THAT conversation.

That being said (sorry it's one of my favorite experiences). You will find the right store and right opportunity. I won't bash soy/EO users as I respect their difficulties in making a good candle, but I also appreciate the fine candles I produce. Don't let it get you down.

I'm sorry you felt bad at being turned down, but keep in mind that there are very many people who can't tolerate FO's, and I'm one of them. I don't seem to have a problem with EO's, but many FO's lead to all sorts of medical problems with me. In many cases, turning down FO's is not a matter of choice, but of necessity.

Oh ..... Debscent you are sooo bad. I got a good chuckle on your reaction to the lady and her coat. I have nothing against soy, each to their own, but there are times I would love to say "do you think soy comes from the ground ready made, uh there is a chemical process to get it to that form." Also if they are using f/o's for scent then isn't that a synthetic chemical. Now don't get me wrong, I would never bad mouth a soy candle maker because in the end its just a choice we both make in which wax we use. Actually its more the consumer who thinks they are getting a pure product when using soy.....but its all good.

Today is a better day. Still bummed, but I know my parasoy candles are good. I wouldn't bash soy. I respect the eco-friendly perspective. Using parraffin doesn't mean I'm not eco-friendly. I recycle!!! I'm just as enlightened as next next person, lol.

I admit, I might have to start playing with the soy I have on hand and see if I can get a few testers going :rolleyes2 . I don't think I'll go back to that store though. A little bitterness there......

I hear you! I make soy candles but use fragrance oils. EOs are just too expensive. BUt I had a retail shop interested in having me make her candles (turned out to be a big nightmare, really) but wanted EOs. I told her I'd work with her but couldn't afford to supply the oils (not too many can if they are pure, in my opinion). She backed out on a deal that we'd been discussing for months.

There are plenty of fish in the sea, though! Don't get disheartened.:smiley2:

hey there is a great post on the BC message boards that goes over the differences between soy and paraffin

and if you had the info you might be able to fend off that person idea's about how bad paraffin is bad

do a search in the candles etc. section

the thread was titled questions about paraffin dated 10/5/07

Leo's post a few down on it is great!

I sorta ran into this issue myself this weekend which is what sent me searching for that post. I needed to arm myself better for the next time I get hit with the soy thing.

There is a bit of a difference though...

You see, there are three camps of people: 1) Those who don't care- as long as it looks good and smells good 2) those who try/want to be eco-conscious but only know what they hear and may or may not be willing to be educated...

3) Those who's LIFESTYLE is eco-conscious. These are the people who you can not change the minds of. We shouldn't try really. To assume that we simply need to better inform them would be insulting. It's a whole way of living life & choice for a lot of people and it's just a matter of to each his/her own. We don't want to be told why para is bad, any more than they want to be told why soy isn't soooo great. So i'm just saying to be careful about how you approach people in regards to their preferences.

We can only hope to be sensitive enough to other's choices and fears that we will be able to tell if they are adamantly pro-soy or open to further discussion about the entire debate. Then and only then should we get on a soap box of our own, lol.