For those that dip bears...........?

The time has come to give it a go. Got myself a couple of beautiful bears, with bows on and a lovely heart detail.

My main question, do you have to completely dip them, or could I dip half and turn it upside down and dip the other half?

I haven't got anything deep enough thats also wide enough for them.

What % fo do you use? I'm assuming I'll need a couple of pounds of wax at least.

I think at the moment, I'll probably dry one in Clean Cotton.

I've been looking for a nice round basket to sit him in to package him, but haven't found one yet.

Any other tips?

thanks xx

The time has come to give it a go. Got myself a couple of beautiful bears' date=' with bows on and a lovely heart detail.

My main question, do you have to completely dip them, or could I dip half and turn it upside down and dip the other half?

I haven't got anything deep enough thats also wide enough for them.

What % fo do you use? I'm assuming I'll need a couple of pounds of wax at least.

I think at the moment, I'll probably dry one in Clean Cotton.

I've been looking for a nice round basket to sit him in to package him, but haven't found one yet.

Any other tips?

thanks xx[/quote']

I personally use the same amount of fo that I do for candles. As for the dipping half at a time, not sure on that one. I go to the dollar store and buy a bigger plastic container, like you could keep flour in, and use that for dipping. For setting them in/on I have used everything from saucers to tin plates to baskets. I usually buy those paper doilies to set underneath them then work around the bear with crinkle shread if using baskets.

Edited to add, you may not have dollar type stores like we have here, but if you have a place you can find bigger plastic containers I'm sure they would work. It wouldnt have to be plastic either, I am forever looking at the second hand stores and yard sales as well for anything I could dip them in. I have also added FO to my presto pot and dipped them in there before as well.

thanks for your reply shelley. Never thought about plastic, thought the wax would be too hot, I suppose a plastic bucket would do then. What temp do you dip him at, if you don't mind me asking?

Great idea with the doilies, thanks xx

btw, we have things over here, called Pound shops. You can get some good bargains, but I've never found much candle related, but guess where I'm going Monday hehe

thanks for your reply shelley. Never thought about plastic' date=' thought the wax would be too hot, I suppose a plastic bucket would do then. What temp do you dip him at, if you don't mind me asking?

Great idea with the doilies, thanks xx

btw, we have things over here, called Pound shops. You can get some good bargains, but I've never found much candle related, but guess where I'm going Monday hehe[/quote']

You know, this will sound awful, but I dont really keep track of the temp for dipping. Once it's melted, I go ahead and pour it into my dipping bucket. I know it's still pretty darn hot though, I use the rubber gloves for washing dishes, but under them I have a pair of little gloves for winter time (they look like a little kids but stretch when you put them on). Getting all the excess out is important, so using those gloves like that really help with not burning my hands. I find some of my candle stuff in the most odd places, and sometimes nowhere near anything candle related hehe.

We inject the same amount of fo into the bear that we use in candles. It is much faster and less clean up....but they do leak some out the bottom so we put em on a glass plate and then wrap it up in a clear plastic bag and put a bow on it and label it. Works great for us and our customers love em too,

Mike