Changing a wick

Ok, last week I made a small batch of 4 oz jar candles. My first mistake was that I did this in the middle of having the flu. Because my brain was fuzz, I used the wrong sized wicks. I am out of these jars now and they are on back order. I have a couple of orders for these so what i was thinking was for that these couple of candles could I scoop out the wax around the wick, detatch the wick, put a new tabbed wick in, pack the wax around the wick, and use a heat gun to take care of the rest.

I tried it and it seemed to work fine but i just want others opinions to see if it may have deteriorated the quality of my candle. Thanks for the help.

Good point about the air holes. I think that I will do it the way you suggested. I think that should work well. I'm in a little bit of a time crunch because it is an order for some people out of town who work with my mom and I'm going out there this weekend. This is the last weekend I'm traveling though because I am 35 1/2 weeks pregnant...no more long trips in cars for me. Thanks for the suggestions.