What can I sub for my Palm oil

elle110

I need to make soap but my palm oil is not in, my basic recipe calls for:

Coconut Oil 1 LB

Palm Oil 11 oz

Veg. Shortening 42 oz ( I run it thru as corn oil)

Olive oil 27 oz

does anyone have any suggestions on what to sub for the Palm

What I have on hand is:

Castor, Soybean, Safflower, shea, mango butter, and of course the others mentioned above.

I am just afrain not using the Palm will cause a softer bar since Palm is semi-solid

TIA

Elle

I know this isn't answering your question but I soaped the shea/mango cp recipe from pvsoap last week and I really liked what I got. I used some the other day (yea I know you are supposed to wait 3-4 weeks or forever whichever one comes first but...) and the lather is really nice and it seems pretty moisturizing. Anyway, sounds like you have most everything you need for that recipe :D

I would bump up the coconut 2%, add 2% to the olive, and take other 7% and split it between the shea and mango. Fo rme it would be too drying - I'm not too sensitive to coconut, but combined with shea it might make it worse since shea has lots of stearic acid and I'm senstive to that.

I'd hate to do a 6# recipe when I'm making so many changes. I'd also bump it down to a 3# recipe.

Well, I went ahead and did my own adding b4 Robin posted. I changed the coconut oil to 21 oz, added soybean 6oz, and kept the olive and shortening the same. I superfatted with 2 oz shea, so this will really be a test batch, I did it in Blooming Tulip and used the water discount, Ok, I am a gluten for punishment, the soap started hardening as I poured, this will look like tulips ready to bloom out of the box, very very textured. I don't think the tulip FO would have reacted this way without the water discount or maybe not such a deep one. (and yes, I still did a 6# batch)

I will post a pic of this garden when it is ready to be cut LOL

Michelle