Ya know.....

I don't think it's such a wise idea for me to cool palm wax containers in my oven. Nope,no fire issue,but,I'm still cleaning and have been for about 1 1/2 hours trying to get all that spilled wax cleaned up. Sure smells good though....nothing like hot baked apple pie smell coming from the oven....to bad it's not the real deal though.....what a bummer! From now on my candles will cool on the wire racks that I bought just to cool candles on. I have no doubt learned a valuable lesson indeed:embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

Mike....not my real name at the moment!

I don't think it's such a wise idea for me to cool palm wax containers in my oven. Nope,no fire issue,but,I'm still cleaning and have been for about 1 1/2 hours trying to get all that spilled wax cleaned up. Sure smells good though....nothing like hot baked apple pie smell coming from the oven....to bad it's not the real deal though.....what a bummer! From now on my candles will cool on the wire racks that I bought just to cool candles on. I have no doubt learned a valuable lesson indeed:embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

Mike....not my real name at the moment!

Ugh. If you have a large enough box to fit over your wire rack, you can use that to insulate your candles while cooling (you probably already know this, but just in case you don't). Can anyone take a pic of you cleaning that oven - I've never seen a man clean one before lol :shocked2:

lol.....I even do the laundry and the vaccuming(or however that is spelled). I do clean up my messes though and this one was a good one.....it sure smells good in here....thanks for the fun post Judy:) Ya know.....I never have used a box before for cooling my jars....I just put em on a wire rack at room temp. and usually they come out alright.....I may try that though.....hmmmmm....big box....big box.....uh,how big Judy?

Mike

P.S.

I don't do windows or the dishes though:)

I put my pillar on a rack on top of a glass baking dish, then put a box on the top. I was thinking the same could be done (minus the box) in the oven but haven't tried it yet... the glass catches any seeping wax... then can be melted into tarts or votives. Just a thought. :)

OOps didn't see that it was a container.. How'd you manage to spill the wax?

WHen I pour votives that need to be cooled in the oven, I use a cookie sheet underneath them. I pour directly on the rack then gently slide it in.

lol.....I even do the laundry and the vaccuming(or however that is spelled). I do clean up my messes though and this one was a good one.....it sure smells good in here....thanks for the fun post Judy:) Ya know.....I never have used a box before for cooling my jars....I just put em on a wire rack at room temp. and usually they come out alright.....I may try that though.....hmmmmm....big box....big box.....uh,how big Judy?

Mike

P.S.

I don't do windows or the dishes though:)

If you don't do windows or dishes, I have no use for you lol - um, the box just needs to be big enough to fit over the candles and rack. :)

I put my pillar on a rack on top of a glass baking dish, then put a box on the top. I was thinking the same could be done (minus the box) in the oven but haven't tried it yet... the glass catches any seeping wax... then can be melted into tarts or votives. Just a thought. :)

OOps didn't see that it was a container.. How'd you manage to spill the wax?

WHen I pour votives that need to be cooled in the oven, I use a cookie sheet underneath them. I pour directly on the rack then gently slide it in.

Well,you see Violet,it was really late and really easy for me to do. I am such a klutz sometimes. I shouldn't have been trying to make candles in the middle of the night and I just set the jar on the oven rack when it just tipped over......all over the inside of the oven. I should just have stuck to my old way and put em on a wire rack and let em cool at room temp.( I was making my first GlassGlo containers) The ones I did get made really do look nice and my oven smells really good. Just remind me to never,never,never put my jars in the oven to cool.

Mike

trying to get all that spilled wax cleaned up

As Mr. Miyagi said in the "Karate Kid,"

"Best defense is no be there.":laugh2:

However, when the above advice is not an option, here're some tips for using your oven without screwing up TOO badly...

• They make these aluminum things you can find near the plastic wraps and aluminum pans and stuff at the grocery store called "oven liners." One can also fashion aluminum foil into a shallow tray to catch spills. USE them! You can wipe them clean with a paper towel when the inevitable occurs, or just throw them away and use a new one.

• In the kitchenware area of WalMart or other stores with kitchen stuff, there are cooling racks (cookie racks). Getchoo some - they are VERY handy. Then find sturdy pans (sheet cake, jelly roll, 2" pyrex casserole pans, etc. from Goodwill, Dollar Store, the back of yo' mama's cabinets, etc.) into which the racks fit. Set your candles on the racks. This provides good circulation under the candles AND a container to catch spills.

• Many spills occur because we burn ourselves and flinch. Use POTHOLDERS (not towels) to move hot pans! They make Oven Mitts, which are really good, too. If you must use a towel, make SURE it is not wet at all and fold it up neatly so that it isn't trailing an edge to catch on something when moving hot stuff.

• Try to use newspaper under ANY area where you work to catch the little drips and snibbles of wax that invariably accumulate. Much quicker to wad up and save for starting a fire than having to scrape and wipe a surface!;)

• A long sheet of paper (like one can get from U-Haul to keep from tracking rugs when moving) helps to protect floors around work areas from drips.

If you take precautions, knowing that you WILL spill wax sometime or another, you can minimize the effects and limit the amount of cleanup. I am NOT into cleaning up, especially messes! :D

Of course, a BIG Igloo cooler with cooling racks in the bottom (onto which one could put candles on cooling racks in pans for stability when moving) might be a good alternative to the oven also... ;)

There are LOTSA creative ways to solve this problem.:yay:

When Mike returns from the land of the embarrassed I will pass all this really helpful advice on to him....I am sure he would really appreciate it alot:) Right now I think he has his head stuck in the oven mumbling something about cleaning it and not using it again to make candles in.

Mike....oops.....this really isn't me....please disregard that name for now.

What if you were to warm the oven to clean it. Wouldn't that make it much easier? You didn't say how you were cleaning it maybe you were doing this already.

I love it when the seal for the wick hole in your pillars aren't on well enough and it just pours out on the counters, lots of fun to clean too.:undecided

These things happen to all of us.

lol.....I'm a guy....who ever thinks of turning on the oven to melt the wax? I already had most of it scraped out when my wife asked me the same question....not a good day. I will never put jars of melted wax in the oven again. I lost track of how many hours it took me to clean most of that stuff out of the oven.....still have some left to clean....I believe in taking lots of breaks when something like cleaning is involved:)

Mike

Well,you see Violet,it was really late and really easy for me to do. I am such a klutz sometimes. I shouldn't have been trying to make candles in the middle of the night and I just set the jar on the oven rack when it just tipped over......all over the inside of the oven. I should just have stuck to my old way and put em on a wire rack and let em cool at room temp.( I was making my first GlassGlo containers) The ones I did get made really do look nice and my oven smells really good. Just remind me to never,never,never put my jars in the oven to cool.

Mike

Hey Mike- Never, never, never put your jars in the oven to cool.. ;)

Hey you asked me to remind you... :D

lol.....I'm a guy....who ever thinks of turning on the oven to melt the wax? I already had most of it scraped out when my wife asked me the same question....not a good day. I will never put jars of melted wax in the oven again. I lost track of how many hours it took me to clean most of that stuff out of the oven.....still have some left to clean....I believe in taking lots of breaks when something like cleaning is involved:)

Mike

Hey at least you are a guy who is crafty enough to make candles! My soon to be ex husband could do any job when it came to so-called 'manly crafts', but when it came to simple handiness, in the house, he was always clueless.

Since then I've enlisted the help of my 2 ex bf's and my sons. They are or were??? (exes suck) great... Actually, the greatest credit goes to my 15 yr old son, who helped me prep for my craft fair. Still haven't sold all of that stock, but when I do, his allowance will greatly increase! :)

Psst... I found out that making candles into the early Am hours has its own hazards... ;)

It's like trying to mix a cake mix and bake it when you, really, are half baked yourself... and tired too boot. ;)

Have fun and don't forget never ever to cool your containers in an oven?

(Altho I might try it someday and I hope never to have wax all over it.. my heat gun will come in handy then, tho... hahahaha... )

Good luck!

Hey Mr. MUDD - is Mike able to play with the candle-making stuff yet? You had me more than a little worried when I read you had your head in the oven! I was going to tell you nothing is ever THAT bad - but then read you were just cleaning it up. Guess this is one of those life experiences that just makes you wiser. Thanks for sharing :awww: .

Where's that light bulb at when you need it.....like in the old Ford commercial....I have a better idea....no more jars in the oven for me.....this will be my first New Year's resolution. Mike still isn't making candles just yet. He's trying to find his way out of the dog house....maybe GPS would help:)

I think I took one long break to many and dozed off for about 6 hours and guess what time of night it is now....finish cleaning time. Hmmmmm.....this is about the same time I started making candles last night. Now I will have nightmares the rest of the week:) My wife calls me a WMD now(I think that stands for "weapon of mass destruction'').

Nice to see you are back Judy....how was your trip? MUDD??? I haven't officially changed my name yet but am considering that option....lol

Thanks for the reminder Violet....I will try to keep that in mind....if not then you remind me again before I do that again....smiles

Mike