Triming wicks

I am testing some containers,and they are burning good only if you keep the wicks trim short.I tried burning without triming,and they smoked really bad.I am afraid if I wick down the wick will drown out.It's hard to get it across to people to trim the wick.I don't know if I should wick down or not.What would you suggest.I hope I have explained this right.They are 16 oz apot jars,two 51z's,JS123 wax.

Thanks,Anna

This particular issue is the bain of my existence. I can wick a candle & if trimmed properly it will be a beautiful burn and no soot. I'll go to a friends house, same exact candle & sure enough, soot around the jar and huge flames. Sometimes, I have to compromise flame height or melt pool b/c I'm so afraid people won't trim. What I always do is when I think I've tested a candle thoroughly (sp?) I send it over to my Mom or a friend and tell them to just burn it like they normally would. When I get the candle back I get a good idea of what went on while it was burning and whether it's "public" proof! Also, keep in mind that zinc's are "smokers" by nature, even when there the correct size:D