is it better to buy a kit to start with?

Hello all,

I have never tried to make any candles before been wanting to give it a try for a while. Been reading this forum off and on for awhile. I am wanting to make container and some votives. What overwhelms me the most is trying to figure out what kind of wick to use. I was wondering if it would be better for me to get a kit from candlewic instead of buying everything from scratch first just to see how I like it. I've seen many posts recomending what wick to use with a certain wax. But is their anything out there to give a general guideline why a certain wick works better than XYZ wick or behavior charitoristics ect.

Thankx

Yes i think a kit would be in your best interest. There is no sense in buying a bunch of supplies with the chance you may or may not like the addiction lol.

Keep reading the posts you will learn alot and dont be afraid to ask questions whether you think there silly or not, im sure i asked some doozies :rolleyes2 .

Everyone chimed in with some help and advice.

This is like my morning newspaper.

In a word YES it's better to start with a kit. It will take most of the guesswork out of your first time. Not all kits are perfect, sometimes the wick isnt exactly the one you might need, but it puts you in the right direction opposed to buying each think individually and having to guess. It will also save you money, which is something I think we all want to do :)

Hey MalsRule! Great dogs!

I did not purchase a kit to get started. I simply POURED over forums, discussion, supplier sites, etc. and made my decisions from there. I haven't seen a kit yet that contains the stuff I purchased for our first candlemaking adventures! I already owned some items that were in the kits, didn't want others, etc. So, that's a different, but more complicated way of going about things. Worked for me!:yay:

Guest Candelishis

If you do something like browse the classifieds on here, you can even "make your own kit", with just stuff that you want, for a discount, since it's used. You can find a little of everything in there.

I recently saw candle kits in AC Moore (craft store) that looked pretty decent. I was pleasantly surprised. If you can find one, you'll save the shipping. Kits are a great way to start before investing in a bunch of stuff.

The ones from Candlewic look pretty good. They have a $25 minimum and the kits are over that. I've been buying from them for years. Great company!

e