figuring GM into your calculations....

Meridith

I just noticed that the Sooz calc has "Goat Fat' on the chart in the very right column. (Some things take me time - I'm old and that's just how it is sometimes lol) If using gm in your soap, do you input your gm in the goat fat selection and would you input the total amount of gm used? i.e. I used 14 oz of gm so I would then input 14 oz of goat fat as well as the amounts of all the other ingredients (shea, PO, CO etc)? I've put in gm as my liquid but I've never figured gm in my sooz calculations and yet all my bars have been really nice and I have been very pleased with my results. But now I am thinking I may have made bars that were REALLY superfatted. :undecided So would you use your gm in your calculations as goat fat? Thanks again. :)

Thanks EB for trying to help me. :smiley2: :) That is what is confusing me is if this is the same as lard or tallow or the goat fat would be the same as gm. What got me to thinking about this was once I noticed it on the sooz calc, I had already asked a question a few thread back about an ingredient I inadvertently left out of my recipe. I was told that since I used gm, the fat from the gm might make up the difference for the left out castor oil.:undecided I haven't used that soap yet but so far, I get no zap at all from it. Maybe some others will chime in here (I hope). :D

I just assumed that the goat fat on the MMS calc was similar to Lard or Tallow but made from goat. It is my understanding that the fat in GM is a saponifiable (is that a word) fat but that it is used as a superfat. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Hi

When using goats milk, I count it as my water. Let's say I use 2 Lbs of water in my recipe. I use a 12 oz can of goats milk, so I subtract those 12 oz from my 2 lbs. This leaves me with 20 oz of water. I mix my water with my lye, and add the goats milk right before I add this mixture to my oils. Hope I make sense.

Misty