mottle didn't mottle much

You're going to be sorry that I found this site! I will question your pants off.

Ok, so I used a mottling wax 4045H from candlewic. With no additives it mottled great, however not much scent retention or throw. It said I could add up to 4% stearic. So I made my votives with the recommended amounts of uv and stearic. The tops from the repour mottled decently, however the first pour barely barely mottled at all. I used 6% fragrance, strawberry. Candles looked wet, but werent. I'm thinking the FO amount was ok. I'm guessing I should cut back on the stearic?

I'm thanking you all in advance for your patience now that I've joined the network! LOL

Chris

Chris, you're doing the right thing but it's a balancing act and you just have to fine tune it. Stearic will somewhat increase the potential scent load and will decrease the mottle at the same time. At this point you can adjust the formula to increase the FO or decrease the stearic.