Getting started on double wicking?

I'm extremely new to candlemaking. Actually, as I write this, I have never made a candle. Except when I was like 5, with crayons, in kindergarten. :)

I really would like to do this more, and I have a solid idea of what I want to do and am confident doing container candles will be no sweat, but I've encountered a hitch.

I would like to make 16 oz apothecary jars, and 4 and 8 oz tin candles. Possibly 16 oz tins, but I'm not sure.

That said, I'd like the apothecarys to be double wicked and the 8 and 16 oz tins to be triple.

I'm tentively going to use Joy wax, as it seems to be what I want in a wax -Mostly soy, smooth and creamy, lower melting point and less fuss than parrafin, and yet, not PURE soy which I absolutely hate dealing with - all of this from the eye view of someone who has burned tarts and candles for years - Joy seems to be a para soy blend with a kick.

Is joy wax tart safe? I was going to use take-out containers and pour 1.5 oz of wax into e'm and let people pop them out.

Anyway, really, we're on wicking. How do I get started estimating what wick I would need? I beleive I want to use the German CD wicks as were suggested by manufacturer, but I'm not sure if that is a good choice.

I haven't the foggiest how I'd estimate what size for double or triple wicking, as I feel thats the best way to encourage a even burn.

If anyone can help this super novice, that would be great. I read through every FAQ and tried to search some but I didn't really come up with anything.

Sorry for any incovenience!

Oh, widths? I think the apothecary jar is 2.5 inches (if I rerember what the site said) the 8 oz jar looks like about 4 in across.

That measurement doesn't seem right...I don't use apothecary jars but I believe the 16 oz should be closer to 4" in width.

I can't give you any insight on the Joy wax, but if your jar is 4" across you may be looking at 2 CD12s. Maybe 2 CD14s, depending on the Joy wax and the FO (the heavier, spicier oils will often require you to wick up).

Anyway, hope this helps some, and I am sure others with experience with Joy and with apothecaries will chime in. Also, make sure to do a search on testing, because you will do lots of it and want to make sure you are doing it right!

It might be. I don't rerember exactly what apothecary jar I was looking at offhand, we'll go with the professional on this one. LOL

I'll do some searching on testing. I just want to have somthing to start with so I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel. Any way I can cut down on costs and buying tons of unneccisary supplies helps.

Now, heavier oils are literally that, aren't they? They weigh more per oz? I need to look up that too. I'm not planning on carrying many spiced scents (IE yankee country home, pumpkin spice, cinnimon anything...) due to allergies, so hopefully that might narrow my testing area too.

Now, heavier oils are literally that, aren't they? They weigh more per oz? I need to look up that too. I'm not planning on carrying many spiced scents (IE yankee country home, pumpkin spice, cinnimon anything...) due to allergies, so hopefully that might narrow my testing area too.

Not necessarily.....my patchouli FO is not a heavy oil by weight, but it has to be wicked up 2 sizes to get a proper burn!! :cool2: