New to candles but would also like to try soaps

angied

Hi,

I have just recently started making candles (past 2-3 months) but now I see all the cool soaps everyone is making and would like to try that as well, shhhhh...dont tell the hubby;) . My question is this....has anyone tried the soap making kit that you can get at walmart? I thought maybe it might be something just to see if I may like it or not. I mean for the price, its only like $30.00 I didnt think it sounded bad. What do you think?

Thanks Angie

They are the same type of kits they have at Hobby Lobby for M&P.., At least those are the one's I've seen at our Wal-Mart here..

It would be a good start just to see if you like it, but if you do, definitely go the supplier route.. You can get the same thing for about half to 3/4 the cost..

I liked the kits just starting out, because I didn't know WHAT I wanted until I actually physically had it in my hand, and with a kit like that it really does give the basics to get started and to help you understand what you are doing so in the future you know what you want or don't want.. That was my experience anyway...

HTH

Thanks for the info. So Jcandleattic I dont mean to sound dumb but where is the best place to get a starter kit for soaps? I know about the candle making places but soap is all new to me.

Angie

P.S. I think the melt and pour method would be the easy way to start.....do you agree?

Angie,

I just started a post here, about the CP kit. You can find it on the website here. I have not seen a melt and pour kit at walmart yet or ever. I guess all walmarts are different. Also on that website should give you two websites to look for the CP kit or the melt and pour kit.

I just saw the kit ur talking about at Walmart Sat night. I haven't made any soap yet, but have been looking into it for quite some time now. $30 is way over priced. It looked like it included a couple of pounds of Melt and Pour soap, I think it was just clear that they had pictured, a few molds, and some colorant and glitter. Getting this stuff from a supplier is way cheaper, most soap bases sell for like $2.50 pp, and u can choose the type of soap you'd like to try. Maybe 1# clear, 1# Aloe, 1#goats milk, etc. Molds are cheap, and if you just want to make a loaf and cut it, you can use a old shoe box, or pringles can as a mold. As for colorants, glitter etc, you can get those online to, or you can get any of this at a Joannes or Michaels (soap base is expensive there though). I've never been to a Michaels, but Joannes frequantly has 25-40%off sales on candle and soaping supplies. Also at Joannes you can go in and sign up for their flier which always has a 40-50% off 1 item coupon on the back. I know of a site that has soap bases for $2 pp, or a "french" bases for $2.50pp, and molds for $.90 each and shipping is only $.20 per parcel. PM me for the site, I've never ordered from it though so I know nothing more about them. HTH

Thanks Talllbabydoll,

Ok another question. I have scents that you can use on the body as well as candles and I have some molds, so other than that I just need some kind of base right? And I use color blocks for the candles can you use that or is there a special kind of color for soaps? I figure you need a different kind of color but I just figured I would ask. And are most bases just a melt and pour or do you need other stuff to put into it?

Thanks again for everyones help

Angie

Your very welcome. Candle coloring is not skin safe, therefore you need soap colorants, most soap suppliers carry them. Some people use clays and spices to color, but I know nothing about which ones to use, or how much, so I can offer no help there. I believe all bases are Melt and Pour, and from what I've read you can add things like poppyseeds, ground oatmeal, coffee grounds (exfolients), small amounts of things like lavender, butters, etc. But I've never done any of this so I am far from an expert, just things I've picked up from reading here. But these are just optional addatives to make the bases more "yours". Melt and Pour is just that, all you have to do is melt and pour it and it's ready for use after cooling. HTH

Thanks Tallbabydoll....I just love this place eveyone is sooooo helpful:D

Well I am getting ready to go to myrtle beach for my niece's wedding but you can bet when I get back I am going to check this soap thing out.

Angie

(P.S. I just seen on another thread that it was your birthday....So Happy Bithday