salt dough ornies

:confused: :confused: hi everyone i was thinking of trying to make the salt dough ornies, i have the gist on how to make them BUT when you are ready to dipp them in wax how many times are you suppose to dip them?? If anyone knows how to make them or has made them can you please let me know if you just dipthem once or more then once. as always thank you so much:)

hey:D what is the receipe for the ornies I knew it one time used to make them with my little ones and was just thinking the other day I would like to do some with the grandbabies:shocked2: never thought about the wax. now if I can find the cookie cutters (somewhere?:cry2: ) long before i did candles

I like working with Cinnamon Dough better than Salt Dough. Here is my recipe ...

3 TBS. shortening

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup molasses

3 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. each ground cloves, cinnamon, and ginger

Combine all ingredients ...

roll out dough to 1/4" thick ...

cut with cookie cutters (use a straw to poke a hole for hanging) ...

bake for 20 mins. in 350 oven (turn a couple of times while cooling) ...

let dry for 1-2 days.

To preserve ... paint on a thin layer of modge podge, or dip in scented wax. I make gingerbread men from this dough ... they are awesome Christmas tree ornaments.

1. Ingredients:
  2. 2 cups flour
  3. 1 cup salt
  4. 1 cup water

1. Directions:
  2. Mix salt and flour.
  3. Add in half the water, then eventually add the remaining water.
  4. Knead until the dough is smooth, this can take up to 10 minutes.
  5. For flat dough ornaments roll out the dough on baking paper Or be creative and make odd shapes and wreaths (takes longer to bake)

Now that you have your mixture completed, you simply take cookie cutters or your hands and creat anything you please. It can be big or small, depending on how much stuff you make.

The best way to make a hole in the top of the ornament so that you can hang it from the tree is to place a straw where you want it and press firly and twist. It then slices the through all the salt-dough.

To bake the salt-dough, it depends somewhat on the thickness your creation. Set your oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit and leave in for an hour to an hour and a hal. If you think its done, make sure it is dry, then it is done.

I know there are a couple diffent salt dough recipes but this is the one i found BUT haven't made them yet using this recipe, so im not sure how'd they turn out.

im sure you could add cinnamon if you wanted to.... but i still haven't found out if i can just dye the dough:confused: .

Oh well i can always just take alittle bit and try it, ill do it maybe tomorrow or the next day then ill post it and let you guys know.:)

I found this one another board yesterday, hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, if so just delete it. oops it didn't work i will type it out

1 1/2 c flour

1/4 c salt

1/4 c cornstarch

2/3 c boiling water

2 Tblsp FO

choice of color

mix dry ingred. heat water and add FO & color. pour into flour mixture. it should be like pie crust. if you want you can add a few drops of food coloring before you have it all together and it will give you a tie dye effect. roll out to about 1/4" . cut with cookie cutters & let dry until they are hard. might take up to 3 days. they will hold their scent for several months.