Starting all over.....

slow-burn

Haven't made soap in forever!!!! Lost all my notes to all my b/b stuff when I had a basement flood. Havent' did much of anything since other things were keeping me so busy.

So I feel like a newbie again :o Have to start all over with recipes and everything....GRRRRR! At least most of my supplies made it :tongue2: Now for all you wonderful soapers....what is going good right now? Fragrances that is...since I will have to get some more of these :(

I saw that some are adding salt to thier soaps, what may I ask is this for? Didn't seem like a salt bar. My last few batches from memory did have silk and sugar added, but what may I ask is the salt for if your not doing a salt bar?

Welcome back again lol!

Fragrances ... well seems there's a trend towards apple spice scents. For here, patchouli and sandalwood rose and honeysuckle and ... and ... and ... have been movers.

Last year was pumpkin and orange clove stuff. That's here though.

Salt, IF I remember correctly, the salt helps make the bar a little harder (not longer lasting, just harder) for better cutting.

With a salt bar, you use a very high concentration of coconut oil with a high percentage of salts. Try 90% co and 10% castor. I use the same amounts of salts as I do oils and butters but others have their own preference for the amounts they use. You can use good ole table salt or any other salt except Epsom salt or dead sea salt although some say they use it with no problems. My soap never turns out when I've used it. The salt bars are not scratchy at all or drying to your skin. The lather is a very creamy, rich lather. The idea of the salt bar is that your skin will benefit from the minerals of the salts. I personally love a goats milk salt bar.

You can also do a soap with 100% co but add no salt. Instead you superfat at a high percentage like 20% and supposedly the bar is not drying at all. I have a batch of these curing but have not tried them yet. This another type of bar some are making.

Ok, so sugar for added bubbles and salt for harder bar. Is it the same as sugar with 1 T ppo? And does it work, or will my bars be all crumbly and crap?

Assuming (hate that word lol!) you aren't going for a salt bar like Meridith listed (which I really want to try), I think it's 1 tsp ppo. My recipes haven't come out crumbly. I've used it with sodium lactate and salt and just salt.

Yeah, they say sugar is a bubble booster.