Bubble bars turning brown?

bunkie68

I tried my hand at bubble bars, finally. I used this recipe http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bbrecipes;action=display;num=1099939492 and used Red Velvet Cake as my FO. They set up pretty well - not super hard, but firm enough not to fall apart when you pick them up, and still easy to crumble - but they turned brown. ??? I know vanilla scents turn brown, so I thought maybe the RVC had some vanilla component in it. I made another batch using Dark Chocolate Solstice as the FO, and again, they turned brown. ??? I know the bubble bars I buy from other e-tailers aren't brown - is it the FO I'm using doing it, do you think? Or something I just haven't thought of? Is there anything I can add to keep them from turning brown? I might like to experiment with colors at some point, but that won't do any good if they turn brown. Any help, thoughts, etc., is greatly appreciated!

I wondered if that might have been it, or if there was just something inherent in the recipe (without the FO) that made it do that. I'll make another batch and try the most non-foody scent I can think of and see what happens - Pink Grapefruit and Sugar Cane should be safe.

Lets see. Off hand I could tell u more about the ones that did turn brown. LOL

Lets see, as for some that didnt.... Lemon Sugar from FOH, Backwards Blue, Carnival Crush from DS. I could list a dozen but...

What other fos are u considering using? Maybe if I (we) know what fos you are planning on using, we can let you know better!

PM me if u want!

Cara

I haven't yet decided what FO I might try - seems like the ones I have a lot of are all foody and likely to have vanilla notes! And I checked the description of PG&SC, and it does indeed mention "a touch of vanilla". :undecided

So if anything with vanilla discolors this badly, how do people make bubble bars in scents like, say, lavender vanilla, and have them not be doo-doo brown? Is there something comparable to UV stabilizer for bath and body products? (I'm thinking the UV stabilizer is just for candles, right?) All the scents I like and want to make bubble bars in seem to have that darned vanilla, and I don't think brown will be a real big seller.

I sell brown soap all the time - vanilla, dragons blood, monkey farts, Cedar Saffron, Autumn Apple, they all discolor. about four of those are top sellars for me. Some I do keep out part before adding the FO and either leave it natural or add color for the swirl, but some are just solid and people still love them - while people do love a pretty bar (and some brown bars a VERY lovely!) it's really the scent that seals the deal. You never know...

Bethany

Bethany, you could be right. I got good reviews from someone who'd tested my Red Velvet Cake bubble bars, nary a mention of the color. My boyfriend, however, tested the Dark Chocolate Solstice and said the bubbles were great, but it turned the water a really nasty shade. So you're right, you never know. I like the recipe I used with the RVC better - maybe that one doesn't turn the water as badly. I'll just mix 'em up and see if they sell. I just can't figure how I see other e-tailers making all kinds of scents that are pretty colors, that don't turn brown even with vanilla in them.

I made 3 different bubble bars... Jamaica Me Crazy (look great), Cool Citrus Basil (sparkling white) and Coconut Lime (brown spots all through the white parts). I knew that vanilla and coconut turned soap brown, but I didn't know it would do this in other products.

• 2 weeks later...