"collar" around wick with c-3??

OK, if it's not one thing it's another. I'm doing better on the tiny bubbles (ahhh - makes me think champagne, sigh) - and the dips have almost disappeared, but NOW I find wax climbs up around the wick like a ragged collar! Is that cause I poured DOWN the wick to fill the jar more smoothly?

Well if one pours STRAIGHT down the wick, the wax adds to the wax already there!

I think you might have gotten that suggestion from me, CareBear... I probably was careless in what I wrote and you took me very literally. I DO pour slowly down the wick, but I don't allow the wax to hit the wick at or above the surface (or fill line) so that none should be showing above the wax when you are finished pouring...

Sorry if I was not clear... some days are foggier than others... :o

Well if one pours STRAIGHT down the wick, the wax adds to the wax already there!

I think you might have gotten that suggestion from me, CareBear... I probably was careless in what I wrote and you took me very literally. I DO pour slowly down the wick, but I don't allow the wax to hit the wick at or above the surface (or fill line) so that none should be showing above the wax when you are finished pouring...

Sorry if I was not clear... some days are foggier than others... :o

I did get it from you, and then as i was pouring I thought to myself - hmmmm. I'm having some trouble directing the flow so I'm thinking of pouring down along a glass stirring rod (I have tons of these) or something similar. That's what I do with other liquids to keep splashing to a minimum and for accuracy in pouring.

Maybe, Carole, but I think what CareBear was describing was the entire wick was coated with wax and formed a thick collar, if I read her right... that's because when I wrote the other day, I told her to pour down the wick and forgot to be specific about avoiding the area of the wick that will be sticking out of the candle. Little sin of omission...:o:tiptoe:

It's the LITTLE stuff that'll drive one nutz, eh?:P

You hear a lot about pouring technique and whatever, but you don't have to go to any great lengths over it. Soy is viscous and doesn't splash much, but I don't think that causes bubbles in the melt pool anyway. Just pour it directly into the container, fast or slow as you please. I always preferred fast because I think it might make the temperature more uniform.

The collar on the wick comes from wax shrinkage. A similar thing happens with other waxes but soy is brittle and doesn't stretch, so the part stuck to the wick breaks off as a little chunk.

If it wasn't happening before but is happening now, I'd guess it's because the pouring temperature changed.