Who uses Straight Paraffin?

Hi All,

I know that everyone has their own opinion about waxes, however, I am using Soy wax now and I would like to know who uses sraight paraffin and if paraffin gives off a stronger hot throw than soy wax. I am using all three EL waxes and I haven't been able to good a strong hot throw from either one of them except for in my tarts. I have used different FOs from different suppliers, etc.

I like to have a strong hot throw in my candles. I have also been letting the candles cure for more than 2 weeks. Following directions and even uped the FO a little per supplier instructions.

Can someone who uses straight paraffin let me know why you use it? If it has a better hot throw? and whatever else you can let me know about paraffin! Thanks

Veronica

I was a diehard soy fan at one time, and like yourself, found it difficult to get a real strong throw with it, plus...it wouldn't throw all scents...it's quite finicky at times. When I made pillars with soy they were...well...dull as hell. You could only do solid or layered pastels with them. Paraffin is so much more versatile...you can go crazy with creativity. In addition, the throw is much better in both the container wax that I use (J223) and the pillar wax (4045). I tried real hard to stay with soy but I was continually disappointed by it...so I defected.

Personally, I started using 1218 not too long ago because the supplier that I have only carries certain IGI waxes. Not that I probably couldn't order a different wax special order, but to be honest, I seriously like the straight paraffin better...

If I want a mottle, I don't add any additives and then I bump up my FO to about 1.25 oz. per pound, If I want a candle really white, I use Vybar 103 or Universal Additive, if I want a semi-quasi crystalline effect like the vegetable waxes, I dip them in a 100% stearic bath.

Straight paraffin is definitely more versatile. I've used the pre-blends but since I'm now moving away from the marbles and into the mottles and mottle/rustics, I just couldn't do that with the pre-blends. 1218 has a melt point of 144*, it's much easier for me to pull off my marbles than it would be to go with a higher melt point. The hot throws are really great if you go 1oz per pound or a little higher, especially if you use an additive that will bump up the fragrance load a little. And the cold throws aren't bad either, I can step into my Green Room, which I use for a creativity room/best room in the house to take candle pics and I'm constantly stepping into one fragrance or another (mental note, Creamy Praline Pecan smells wonderful....but not with Lavender and Spiced Cranberry).

Thanks so much for your advice and input. I am seriously thinking about changing to straight paraffin. I have a EL supplier about 7-8 mins away from me and I am having a hard time using their wax. I really hate the frosting too!

Do any of you know a Paraffin supplier near Florida? I think that she is the only supplier in Florida but she just has the EL waxes nothing else. She said that she loves it and it works great for her which is why she became a supplier but it's not working that good for me.

Also what about cure time for straight paraffin? How long does it take to get a good hot throw from the cure time? It takes more than 2 weeks for this wax and I can't wait that long to find out if a scent is going to sell or if it is good to use. All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Veronica

Veronica: I don't cure my pillars, nor my containers. As soon as they set up I can fire them up...although, they do tend be stronger if you wait a day or two...but you definately won't have to cure them for two weeks like that dreaded soy.

Veronica: I don't cure my pillars, nor my containers. As soon as they set up I can fire them up...although, they do tend be stronger if you wait a day or two...but you definately won't have to cure them for two weeks like that dreaded soy.

Fern,

You are really making me want to change from Soy. That is definitely something that I need. Maybe I can keep testing with the Soy while I use the paraffin. I am not making pillars right now. I am only making tarts, containers and votives. Soon I will be making the dessert candles. I think that eventually I will get to making the coffee cup candles as well!

I am going to make almost everything scented. Thanks so much everyone for your help. I will look for the supplier by state link from the archives. I am going to try the paraffin probably this weekend. I know that if you are able to burn your candles as soon as they set, then the time that it takes for shipping 3-7 days would be a good time for the candles to cure.

Veronica