Question re meltpool

I have a question that I always seem to forget to ask. At one time when I was strictly using paraffin and double wicking it was easy to get a complete meltpool within a shorter period of time. It was never an issue. Usually the problem then was getting too deep of one too fast until I finally found the right paraffin that burned at a good rate but still at a faster rate than single wicking.

My question is: With a slow burning soy, what do you do for times when people cannot burn it long enough for the full meltpool and then they end up with hang up? I have some friends that burn for long periods and others who do not. This never seemed to be a problem when double wicking paraffin -- full meltpool happens much faster. But since this soy burns sooooo slow, even with double wicking it takes more time to create the full meltpool. Actually, this is the case with paraffin too that is only single wicked -- full meltpool in around 3 hours or so in a 3 inch -- an inch an hour. Of course with double wicking soy it is somewhat faster than that -- not as fast as with paraffin though. My jars are NOT made of the thin glass so it may even take longer than the thinner glass and they also have the hard to get corners. I can't wick up anymore because then the flames will be too big and not safe. I just hope that for those who tend to light it without having the time to burn it long enough do not dislike hang-up. Is this a bad thing that a candle has to be burned for a complete 3 - 4 hour burn for a full meltpool in order to clean the sides? One of my jars is just a little over 3" and the other one is about 4 (both with corners). When "I" burn I do not get hang-up -- just a slight residue (raindrops) because I usually burn the time needed. Any thoughts? :rolleyes2

The really good thing about soy is that it is great at playing catch up. Even with putting it out before a full melt pool sooner or later it will catch up as long as it is wicked properly in the first place. With Paraffin you are really looking for a different kind of melt pool.

Thanks Vicky for the insight. :) I really do love the soy. It is a learning experience getting to know all about soy. :rolleyes2 I believe I do have the wicking right. I test, test and test some more. lol I guess if a person lights a candle an hour or even two hours before they need to blow it out, it is to be expected that the meltpool will not be complete. I know this, but others don't really know this even when instructions are written out and given for the best burn performance. I am not going to worry about it and be thankful for all the good qualities soy has to offer. :cheesy2:

Hi Vicky,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this one....I saw on one web site where it said: "you should strive to achieve a full melt pool in 3-4 hours"......! What is that?

Who wants to light a candle and wait 3-4 hours to smell it?

What is right, and how can one know? It worries me a lot. How do I know if I have the right wick for the right product. I use CB Advanced 2, and LX 24 wicks. The sides are clean. Every scent I try, seems to burn at the same rate. Is this bad? The LX 22's worked great with EZ soy, but not at all with CBA2, and the LX 26...forgedaboudit...way too high a flame. Just how long should an 8 oz jelly jar burn? What should I be striving for, time-wise? What am I not getting?

Man, is this exasperating! I'm starting to think that the word 'wick' is short for 'wicked'!

Thanks for your helpful insight.

Hi Vicky,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this one....I saw on one web site where it said: "you should strive to achieve a full melt pool in 3-4 hours"......! What is that?

Hi Fern, you and me both. That is why I have always double wicked in jars that would take too long for a good size meltpool. The soy burns a lot slower than the paraffin even when double wicked but a good meltpool does form fairly quick when it is double wicked with an awesome scent throw. It is just the last 1/2 inch from the sides and the corners that take the longest and if a person does not allow it to burn long enough there can be hang-up. I never had this problem with paraffin. However, I love soy! :)

: What should I be striving for, time-wise?

What I try to strive for is a complete meltpool in a faster rate than a single wicked candle but not one that gets too deep too quick. Also, I strive for a steady flame that does not become too weak or too big within 3 - 4 hours. I have had great luck with the flames in this soy. It just takes a little longer to get the corners and the last little bit on the sides -- needs to burn the full 3 - 4 hours (usually) to clean the sides and corners. HTH

~Holly

Hi Vicky,

What is right, and how can one know? It worries me a lot. How do I know if I have the right wick for the right product. I use CB Advanced 2, and LX 24 wicks. The sides are clean. Every scent I try, seems to burn at the same rate. Is this bad? The LX 22's worked great with EZ soy, but not at all with CBA2, and the LX 26...forgedaboudit...way too high a flame. Just how long should an 8 oz jelly jar burn? What should I be striving for, time-wise? What am I not getting?

Man, is this exasperating! I'm starting to think that the word 'wick' is short for 'wicked'!

Thanks for your helpful insight.

The reason you are striving for 3 to 4 hours is not for the scent throw, it is to get a good burn. You should be getting a good scent throw long before the 3rd to 4th hour. Now think about it this way the average person get home from work about 5:30 to 6:00 you start dinner between 6 and 7 you light your candle but you put them out between 10 and 11 so the average person is only burning for 3 to 4 hour. So that is a good reason for your candle to reach full melt pool in that time.

This is what I strive for in scent throw I want a nice throw in about an hour anything longer than that is no go as far as I am concerned. But at the same time I don't expect it to fill my entire house in an hour either I want to be able to walk with in 5 to 10 feet of that candle and be able to smell it, at the 4 hour point it had better have fill the entire room and moved into other rooms in my home.

As far as how long a candle should last I have never cared about that so do not measure it. I care about getting a good burn with a great scent throw. I think way to much importance is placed on how many burn hour you will get. That is just my opinion. Everyone asked for different thing out of their candles that s another reason for not only testing but why not everyone will have the same results. What you think is a wonderful throw and a great burn I may disagree and think it is to weak of a throw or vice versa.

Here is something else you might want to try make what you consider your best candle and then send it to a more experience candle maker and let them test it for you to see what their opinion is. After they burn it they will be able to give you some helpful advice.

Ahhhh.

So I am doing it right.

Relit test candles today...I am satisfied, I think they are good, and so does my husband.

Due to candle nose, I find that if I take a shower, and then come out and notice a pleasing aroma, not overpowering to where I get a headache, it is a good test.

Thank you.

I am sticking with my nice, little, jelly jars for now. If I had to deal with double-wicking, I think I'd be too nervous. One was challenge enough!

Holly, you are a brave, brave, woman! I really, really, enjoy the soy candle making too.