Take a look at this weird batch

jes432

Ok, so this is an unusual one. Take a look tell me what you think. Made this one many times and this isn't how it came out ever before. It has oatmeal in it and it gelled like crazy. So, what are the weird patches on top of the log? First here is the log pic:

OatmealHoney3.jpg

Here is a closer look:

OatmealHoney2.jpg

And this is what the side of the bar looks like:

OatmealHoney.jpg

It just looks like it is part of the soap only it is white in these middle areas. It looks like it wasn't mixed well and I have some type of lye pockets (they're not wet though), but I actually had to SB this one quite a bit as it moved a little slow. So what is the vote? Lye pockets?

ok, I was ready to blame the lye as I have been using this batch of palm for a while and never got this result. It is some weird looking swirly stuff.

Probably because the stearic has settled to the bottom and you're getting it now.

Do you know if it's homogenized? Do you mix it before using or just take off the top of the container?

I have been soaping quite awhile and only just began using palm oil about 5 months ago - to appease those opposed to using animal fats - I only make about 4 varieties that have about 30% palm.

Anywho, this totally explains why I had a batch the other day accelerate like no other that has behaved so nicely before with the same EO's - it must've been unhomogenized Palm, unstirred in a bar that already has 5% cocoa butter and 1% stearic - OUCH! Didn't know there was such a thing as homogenized or unhomogenized!

Another reason for me to hate palm - Lard rules I say....

So if I mix the stuff up now after using about a pound and a half of a 5 lb bag will it be ok? (bought this at BB by the way)

Bethany

I have been soaping quite awhile and only just began using palm oil about 5 months ago - to appease those opposed to using animal fats - I only make about 4 varieties that have about 30% palm.

Bethany

You can't please everyone. Next, someone will complain about the palm oil and that the natural forest/jungles are being burned to make room for the palm production. If you love lard soap, make lard soap...and make castille for the rest of the complainers...:D

You can't please everyone. Next, someone will complain about the palm oil and that the natural forest/jungles are being burned to make room for the palm production. If you love lard soap, make lard soap...and make castille for the rest of the complainers...:D

You know I have read about that and have it all in my head to say it to the next person that says anything about my lard soaps! Fact is though, there are so few who even care around here (we are a farming community) that really it's not that big of deal anyway, just every now and again someone will come along...

Who are the folks who sell homogenized palm anyway? I'm thinking the sage does as I haven't had a problem with thiers yet.

Bethany