FO Crystalizing

I had about 3 ounces of Peaks Pink Sugar left in a 16 ounce bottle. It had crystals in it almost like real sugar. The FO was purchased in March so it wasn't old. I needed to use it so I tried warming it up...they didn't melt...so I stirred the fo into the hot wax..the crystals still didn't dissolve...I ended up straining the hot wax to remove the crystals.

Anybody ever have this happen before? I have been making candles for 7 years and have never had crystals form in FO before.....just lucky or is this an unusual experience?

It is not a big deal but made me very curious.

Guest LightofDawn

I had this happen also with the Pink Sugar. The thing was I only had a one ounce sample so I did not even realize there were crystals until I already poured the FO in the wax and I could hear the crystals in the jar. I was a little concerned until I burned the candle. These candles have the best hot throw I have had of any of my candles yet to date. I personnaly would throw it away, I do not believe it effects the scent of the throw.

HTH

Dawn

I received a bottle of Snowtops Caramel Nut Cluster last winter that was literally solid except for a little bit on the top. I was told to place it in a pot of slow boiling water on the stove. It then liquified so that I could pour it. Worked great! I only used one ounce, and the other ounce hardened up like that once it cooled. Guess I'll have to do the same thing again. The candles were still awesome! :smiley2:

I have a couple FO's that do this - Pink Sugar and Vanilla Lace. What I do each time before using the oil is place the oil in HOT water and shake until dissolved before pouring into wax.

I have a heavy amber that goes almost rock solid but I just put it in hot water for a long while. Paid good money for that amber, ain't about to throw it away:shocked2:

Brenda, thanks for the heads-up on the vanilla lace. I just bought a bottle for testing.