Scent Throw help pleazzzzzz

sunnidazze

Hi Sunni,

Which FO did you use? And from where? Sometimes it can be the quality of oil or it could also be that the particular FO that you used does not throw well in your wax. I use Calsoy CB-3 (soy/vegi blend) and I find that most oils throw in it REALLY well, but there are always some that just will not throw as well in it as another wax. I have also found that when I have tested some para/soy blends I did not get as good of a scent throw as with my Calsoy CB-3. However, this is just my experience. Have you tested many oils in your parasoy? Which parasoy is it? If you have not tried many frangrance oils, it helps to test several to know if it is the wax or not. Also, the temp you add the FO can sometimes be an issue. I hope this helps a bit. Keep trying. :)

Hey Holly,

Ive used a variety of FO. Wholesalesupplies, peak, bitter creek.....Maybe its the wax I use (parasoy from Peak)? I dont know. I guess I need to test with another wax.What are the cons in using Calsoy?

What temp should I add the fragrance? Ive been adding it at about 140 right before i pour.

Hi Sunni,

It could be the wax, since you have tried several oils. Altough, I have read that if you add the FO too high it is not good and it can also be bad if you add it too low. 140 seems a little low to me. It may not be blending in well enough. It does not give enough time for you to stir it in before you get to the temp you need to pour. I used to add my FO oil no lower or higher than 155 with the paraffin wax but now I add it between 170 and 175. I do the same with my soy now -- usually at 175. It has worked great for me. What pour temp does your wax recommend? Maybe you can try adding your FO in at a higher temp -- at least 165 or possibly 160 and also higher at 175. See if that helps. If not, it may very well be that the wax is not the best throwing wax. I have tried a few of the para/soy blends and I do not get as good of a cold or hot throw as I do with straight paraffin or straight soy. I have gone through a lot of wax trying to find the one that works for me and Calsoy CB-3 has been the best for me so far. I also use JS-123 paraffin blend which is good but not in all of my jars. It is really easy to work with and wick and burns slow for a paraffin. It has a great scent throw too. I use it in wide-mouthed jars for the best burn qualities.

The three companies that you are using are good companies. I do prefer WSP and Peaks over Bittercreak though. However, Bittercreek is good.

The downfalls in using the Calsoy CB-3 is that you can get frost but this is different for different people -- depends on ones variables. Also, it is a soy so there can be those soy quirks but not for everyone gets the same ones/same outcome. Once again, it depends on one's variables: jars used, how much oil, what kind of dye, how much dye, temp of work area, environment -- dry, humid, etc. The soy guirks, can be: frost, dips, cracking, pitting/airpockets/sinkholes. However, this has not been real bad for me and there are things you can do to fix this. Calsoy CB-3 is a very pretty soy and it has an AWESOME scent throw (especially for soy). Although, there are some scents that just do not throw as well in it as in paraffin so you have to hunt around a little more. Most oils work wonderful in this wax. I seek out oils that have been previously tested in soy with good results.

I have found that even though the soy/para blends are easier to use, I still prefer the straight soy or soy/veggie blend. I will say that Calwax has a soy/par blend that has a great cold and hot throw and that is the Calwax CB-30. It has more paraffin than soy, I believe. I did not stick with it because it did not work well in my jars. I had a little trouble wicking it. It is a great wax though.

Good luck and keep at it. You will find what works for you in time. :)

~Holly