Fire Starters with potpourri

Godiva

i thought i was being smart-quite a while ago-and made a candle with potpourri

let's just say that all of it is flammable

:)

and i thought it was safe to leave candles unattended in the bathroom!

I could see why you wouldn't want to make a candle with potpourri, but since a fire starter is supposed to (I believe) catch fire, I'm assuming it would do ok and wouldn't be much different than using wood shaving. Would you agree?

Well since a fire starter is supposed to start a fire wouldn't you want something in it that will catch on fire:D Potpourri works great!!!

I guess I was having a brain drain. First I wasn't sure if potpourri would burn completely, as I've never burned it, and second, didn't know if it would pop too much and cause a major fire hazard.

Thanks for all responses!

New(unused rofl) tampons work great also. Dh couldn't start a fire without them. Dip a couple times in wax and you already have a nice long wick to burn.

now that's a neat idea. I never would have thought of that one.

PamR:cheesy2:

I think it was here a long time ago that I got that idea. I just take the plastic or cardboard part off, open the tampon up a tad then dip in wax a few times. Because these are just for us to use for the firepit and such I remelt my wax tarts that are no longer throwing any scent and just use those. So between the dollar store cheapo tampons and basically free wax I have a cheap firestarter. As much as dh wouldn't like to admit it, he can not start a fire to save his life and with these he has no problem, doesn't even need newspaper to "help". lol

Y'all are making things much more difficult than need be! If for your own use, simply pour your left over wax in a small dixie cup - or all your pieces of pillar candles work wonderfully. Use the paper on the dixie cup to start the fire. Making firestarters to sell, the potpourri is a nice touch and makes it kinda cute.....

But the tampons.......EWWWWWWWWWW I find that to be disgusting and a complete waste of money, effort and taste! Oh well to each their own.

But the tampons.......EWWWWWWWWWW I find that to be disgusting and a complete waste of money, effort and taste! Oh well to each their own.

You should've seen my hubby's face when I told him about these - don't think I want to try them. However, perhaps once it's dipped in wax, can't tell what it is???:P

I've read that the wax burns completely away - but have not tried one yet. :tongue2:

The firestarters burn up completely, there might be a slight oily spot, but the ashes soon soak that up. We only use one firestarter to start a fire & usually keep the fire going all season. So we are not burning alot of firestarters.

PamR