Burn test photos - comments pls

Here are pics of my 3" pillars burning. They were both burned initially for 3-4 hrs, and subsequently burned for about the same amount each time. Maybe as many as 3 burns since the initial one - My questions are..... Is this a good burn for a pillar? What else could I do to make them self-consume like Tops' mottled candle that he recently posted? Do I need to wick up?

I am using 1274, 3tbs stearic, 1oz per pound FO and 30 ply flat waxed (I use wick pins).

Any comments, or advice, would be appreciated. :yes:

post-1101-139458382551_thumb.jpg

Hi there MAMMA. The pix are fine BUT>>>>> ya gotta hug them there pillars or yer gonna have spill out. I know I haven't been at this very long and am still quite inexperienced but one thing I know for sure "YOU GOTTA HUG THEM THERE CANDLES".

I have been hugging the second one. The first one ran away with me a little as I had friends over, and neglected it a bit! However, I have not found any real difference between the hugged, and unhugged one. They both are leaving a "shell". What should I be doing differently?

It does look like you could wick up one size without a problem. My mottled/rustic pillars burn so that they totally consume themselves. I use a low smoke 19 for 4045H wax, and low smoke 21 for 1274 wax. They worked perfectly from the get-go so I haven't had to test any other wicks with them.

If you find the 30 ply aren't doing the job, you could try other wicks - a CD16 maybe, or an LX20-22? I have some 1/0 square braid here and they work well with this wax, but i have to watch them because the wick is a little hot and I can get spill over if I power burn for more than 4 hours.

DanaE

I've had the same troubles with flat ply. Really like the first burns (3-4hrs) then they get low with second burns - with particular Fos. So I've been trying different wicks (very ecpensive with Fos). Have tried hotter burning ones (as I've said a few times on the board lol). HTP 83 and 105 have been used successfully for some of my stronger Fos. I know people use them for containers, but they can also be used for pillars.